Mud Slinging...

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The kids were having a mud slinging fest in the lake yesterday, so it was a great time to practice...

I TRY to make myself do this often, but... Yeah. That doesn't happen.

$IMG_5913 as Smart Object-1.jpg$IMG_5914 as Smart Object-1.jpg$IMG_5916 as Smart Object-1.jpg$IMG_5917 as Smart Object-1.jpg
I shoot a LOT of sports, or I have until recently... And I am gearing up as football season comes around. I find myself using that damned center focus point wayyyyy too much. So now I am working on action AND very simple, basic composition, simplify and rule of thirds.

AND (of course) good exposure and focus!!!

I am hoping I can force myself to quit putting the action player in the center... Somehow I default when I am not paying close attention every. darned. time.

Is that a bad thing? I don't do a lot of sports/action work, but when I do, I generally centre the subject, and then open up a little to make sure that I don't miss anything and then crop to the final composition in post.

Nice FOCUS on subject ... hmm, though it does look like a Tommy Hilfiger ad.

Is that a bad thing? I don't do a lot of sports/action work, but when I do, I generally centre the subject, and then open up a little to make sure that I don't miss anything and then crop to the final composition in post.
I know I can get a lot more impact if I am placing a ball runner running into the goal instead of dead center just running...
There is definitely a LOT of dead center in the sports I am shooting. It sells. Mom's just see their kid, but I want MORE too.

Like I said, that's what post is for. Just because you shoot the frame with the subject square in the centre does not mean that the client's image has to be composed that way! ;)

Like I said, that's what post is for. Just because you shoot the frame with the subject square in the centre does not mean that the client's image has to be composed that way! ;)

Post is great, but when you are post processing for 4 to 6 football games at a time at about 500 images a game... Post sucks balls. Some Saturdays I have to start at 11 am and I am shooting till close to midnight. I think my max this year is 5 games in one day. I batch process and I do NOT touch each individual image. Time is a GIANT factor when I am shooting football and wrestling. Basketball and volleyball aren't so bad because I am only shooting one or two games at a time.

Post is great, but when you are post processing for 4 to 6 football games at a time at about 500 images a game... Post sucks balls. Some Saturdays I have to start at 11 am and I am shooting till close to midnight. I think my max this year is 5 games in one day. I batch process and I do NOT touch each individual image. Time is a GIANT factor when I am shooting football and wrestling. Basketball and volleyball aren't so bad because I am only shooting one or two games at a time.
Ahhhhhh... I gotcha. I don't do anything close to that. Makes sense now.

I have decided that I think I actually like this series... He starts looking so serious and grown up and ends up looking like the little brat that he is! And it really shows the muscle I didn't realize he'd developed. Where was this mom???

This is cool. I want to start shooting some football. Any tips would be great. Im moving to peterson AFB which is where the AFB football stadium us. So i figure i can catch some games.

100-400mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 good lenses to start with for sports? I still want to make my money with weddings. But football would just be fun!

You'll be lucky if you can get your gear into the stadium and if you do manage to sneak it in be very careful that you don't get caught.
Is that the Tokina 100-400? It's going to pinch on light at night on most regular fields. If you were in a full blown stadium the lighting is better.
I am only working with a 70-200 f/2.8. I use it on a crop sensor which gives me some extra reach. It works well for me. There are times I wish I could get closer, but I do well with it. I have really considered adding in an extender. The 2.0x is supposed to be the weaker of the two and 1.4 sure doesn't seem like much. So I have been dragging my feet.
I shoot a LOT of football, some volleyball, basketball, wrestling, LITTLE swimming, track, some baseball, LITTLE soccer. Volleyball is by far the hardest and most challenging for me. I LOVE football and wrestling.
These are in Ralph Wilson Stadium (Bills)
$6320273898_e00144013f_z.jpg$6319750675_eac738fcba_z.jpg$6320270992_4773bc17ef_z.jpg
THESE are what I am dealing with on most days for football
$6303392435_4b54557356_z.jpg

$6303397243_ea275211dd_z.jpg$6264961868_eb3f8e514b_z.jpg

Wrestling can be a challenge for lighting... This gym has the "ring" light just above the center of the mat...
$6552502983_1de0a3daa1_z.jpg

I am doing a LOT of high school and a little college here and there. I'd LOVE to shoot pro, but I don't have the drive and ambition to do it. It'd be nice, but not something I WANT!!!

Very good! I am sure if i go in advance and let them know i am a photographer and make arrangement to get one of those photo vests it should be fine. They do let photographers in to sporting events right.

Oh and almost forgot, the 100-400mm is a Canon lens :)

Very good! I am sure if i go in advance and let them know i am a photographer and make arrangement to get one of those photo vests it should be fine. They do let photographers in to sporting events right.

Oh and almost forgot, the 100-400mm is a Canon lens :)

Trust me, it is NOT that easy to get a press pass. If it were there would be hundreds and hundreds lined up for them. I had to jump through hoops just to get to shoot high school in the stadium. You'll need a reputable company or publication to get you in the door. Such as the news agencies, AP, etc.

I my state, individual schools' athletic directors can issue a number of press passes...to anybody they want to....my state's high school sports sanctioning body realizes that MANY AD's and coaches want good pics from "outside of" the newspaper system, so contacting AD's personally is a good way to get credentials...especially if you actually know how to shoot.

Most reactions

Back