My 365 Project

Is that real or artificial dof? I'm just curious.

David, I've been following you and noticed you haven't posted anything for a week now so I have unsubscribed from your thread. You made it farther than the other 365 projects that started this year. Also I really enjoyed your photos as opposed to the other "I just want to see if I can take one picture a day" 365 thread. Even though some here thought you were doing nothing but photoshop type images, which you were, I really liked the creativity in your photos. IMO each of your photos was different and creative in it's own way. Additionally, you lasted much longer than I would have. :thumbup:

David, I've been following you and noticed you haven't posted anything for a week now so I have unsubscribed from your thread. You made it farther than the other 365 projects that started this year. Also I really enjoyed your photos as opposed to the other "I just want to see if I can take one picture a day" 365 thread. Even though some here thought you were doing nothing but photoshop type images, which you were, I really liked the creativity in your photos. IMO each of your photos was different and creative in it's own way. Additionally, you lasted much longer than I would have. :thumbup:
Its a shame that this thread ended, great pictures. David, you made it very far, thanks for sharing all the great shots.

If you feel the urge to start up where you left off I won't hold it against you. Hope all is well on your end.

thanks rexbobcat! One more question, how do you know where to point your camera to get the milky way in the middle like that? (I know it's all technically the milky way, but I don't know what else to call it)

It's not so much a "where" as it is a "when". The center of the Milky Way is in Sagittarius. From the northern latitudes it never gets particularly high (I'm in Michigan at 42º North latitude), from southerly latitudes (say... Florida) it's MUCH easier to get. It's highest in July. I'm gonna say July 10th at about Midnight is about as good as it gets... but you can shoot earlier if you're willing to stay up later to get the shot. For example, on June 21st at about 1:00am you'd get a very similar shot.

Also, the wider the lens, the longer you can leave the shutter open before the stars become elongated and leave trails. Rex mentioned he goes about 20 seconds with a 24mm lens. I have a full-frame camera and a 14mm lens (f/2.8) and I can leave the shutter open about 40-45 secs without noticing any trails.

Hey everyone!
I apologize for my extended absence the past week. I took a couple days off for a few reasons. I was really unhappy with what I was uploading and felt as though my creativity was... well... not being creative. I took a few days break to let my mind recuperate and to reflect on why exactly I was doing this project. I originally set out to do this to improve my photography. Let's face it... what I've been uploading is far from photography. Uploading what I've been uploading will only improve my photoshop skills, which isn't what I'm wanting. At first I was pretty discouraged and thought about quitting, but this is something I told myself I'd do, and need to do to really improve. I didn't know at the beginning that so many people would really enjoy my photos each day, and so I'm also continuing for you guys. Without everyone's support here I probably would have quit, so thanks guys!
Anyways, The past few days I took some pictures with photography as the focus. I did a few more than one per day so I could get caught up. I know that's technically "against the rules", but whatever, haha.
So, here you go! I hope you guys like em!

73/365

Untitled by DavidOsswald, on Flickr

74/365

75/365

76/365

77/365

78/365

79/365

@shefjr I really appreciate this post... probably more than you know. I hope you continue to follow this thread, but if you don't I completely understand.

thanks rexbobcat! One more question, how do you know where to point your camera to get the milky way in the middle like that? (I know it's all technically the milky way, but I don't know what else to call it)

It's not so much a "where" as it is a "when". The center of the Milky Way is in Sagittarius. From the northern latitudes it never gets particularly high (I'm in Michigan at 42º North latitude), from southerly latitudes (say... Florida) it's MUCH easier to get. It's highest in July. I'm gonna say July 10th at about Midnight is about as good as it gets... but you can shoot earlier if you're willing to stay up later to get the shot. For example, on June 21st at about 1:00am you'd get a very similar shot.

Also, the wider the lens, the longer you can leave the shutter open before the stars become elongated and leave trails. Rex mentioned he goes about 20 seconds with a 24mm lens. I have a full-frame camera and a 14mm lens (f/2.8) and I can leave the shutter open about 40-45 secs without noticing any trails.

Thanks for the great advice! Now I have something to look forward to on July 10th! haha

Last edited:
I'm really glad you started up again, keep them coming and good luck!

It was a joke... I was saying that we cant help you with votes on the modeling gig because if you get it, youll be to busy to do your 365 project lol.

oh, haha! Gotcha... In the slim chance that I do get it, it just means I'll get to travel and take pictures in a new setting.

Here's today's

80/365
So much for Spring... it snowed all evening. I took this before it started to accumulate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back