My beautiful oldest daughter

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter had went to a photographer to get the glam/sexy photo's done and was not too happy with the results. To her, they were all pretty boring with a pose striked on a simple white background. She wanted something different. So...I took a shot at it.

I had just uploaded some different presets in my lightroom and she wanted me to try to achieve a different look to each one. She didn't want to smile (even though I managed to squeeze in a few when she didn't know I was going to snap the picture). She also wanted her name on them because she puts her name on everything. (At least I named her something she loves).

I only have on board light...so I know there were some shadows in some and I had to add some texture to a few due to the darn wrinkling of my stupid muslin...which I plan on getting some seamless paper to avoid this in the future.

I had also just learned how to put the curves borders around it and I went a little overboard with them practicing on these photos. I now see this and realize that borders don't work with every picture. :lol:

All in all, she was extremely happy with the photos and once she posted them to her myspace...there is an overwhelming response with her friends wanting to know what photographer she went to, if she was modeling now and they want their pictures done. I am by no means a pro or anywhere close to it, so I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing her friends yet. I mean what if they were to show it to a pro photog...yikes.

Anyhow...here goes...sorry for having so many. :p

3568434517_ca1eb82779.jpg

3569251846_01727aa9a5.jpg

3568439553_693ace7e9d.jpg

3569249944_b2b336ed69.jpg

3569251396_78e177043f.jpg

3568436033_4afb2edb07.jpg

3568437071_7a787facbb.jpg

3569249374_17d9988c7f.jpg

3569248664_0379e3288e.jpg

3569248368_2836630d0c.jpg

3568434079_8a010d5efd.jpg

Wow.....those are some really great shots...and yes.....your daughter is very beautiful. Have you been at this awhile? I get the feeling that you haven't been based on your daughter not coming to you for the photos first. These don't look like you are new the your camera if that's the case....very professional.

No I'm extremely new. I just got my first slr at the end of January when I joined this forum. I'm still learning and I'm not quite comfortable shooting in manual yet...even tho I try here and there. I knew absolutely nothing about the settings and what aperature and everything was. I'm still trying to grasp it all. I do a LOT of reading to improve.

I originally bought my camera because I have always loved taking pictures and wanted to do portraits and I had a very nice $400 8.2 point and shoot...it just didn't have what I was looking for. I got into learning photoshop and manipulation late last year, but the quality of photo's sucked! So I broke down and bought a slr for this purpose. However, I think that portraits are the one thing I'm the worse at in photography. I feel I have a decent grip on landscape pictures and the whole bokeh thing...I'm just really struggling with portraits for some reason. I know a lot has to do with my lighting issues (I only have the on camera flash so far and need to invest in some "real" lighting).

Thanks so much for the compliment. I figured I would get bashed for some of the processing on them. But I'm prepared.

No I'm extremely new. I just got my first slr at the end of January when I joined this forum. I'm still learning and I'm not quite comfortable shooting in manual yet...even tho I try here and there. I knew absolutely nothing about the settings and what aperature and everything was. I'm still trying to grasp it all. I do a LOT of reading to improve.

I originally bought my camera because I have always loved taking pictures and wanted to do portraits and I had a very nice $400 8.2 point and shoot...it just didn't have what I was looking for. I got into learning photoshop and manipulation late last year, but the quality of photo's sucked! So I broke down and bought a slr for this purpose. However, I think that portraits are the one thing I'm the worse at in photography. I feel I have a decent grip on landscape pictures and the whole bokeh thing...I'm just really struggling with portraits for some reason. I know a lot has to do with my lighting issues (I only have the on camera flash so far and need to invest in some "real" lighting).

Thanks so much for the compliment. I figured I would get bashed for some of the processing on them. But I'm prepared.

Well, you definitely have an incredible eye for composition and natural talent (which doesn't happen too often on here these days). Most beginners I just click on through....yours are very impressive considering the length of time you've been shooting seriously.

I have seen less interesting shots from pros... nice photos! I'd advise you to tone down a bit the eyes, they look over-processed, almost fake in some of the shots. Everyone likes bright eyes that stand out, so it is all too easy to go over the top in editing! That's how they look to me, you can try the day after test (aka sleep on it) or just take a long break, look at them again and judge for yourself. Again, well done.

Looking at them again i noticed something. Light can be mean sometimes. This is probably one of the most common corrections in portrait photography... i hope you don't mind! Eight clicks in total with the healing brush.

3568434517ca1eb82779b.jpg

Another thing - second post, first photo: Go a little easier on the face and remember that all visible skin should have a uniform look after editing. In this example the shoulder looks completely untouched, in contrast to the face.

Great work!

You have made HUGE steps forward from some of your earlier work I remember seeing on here.

I guess she'll be going straight to you from now on? ;)

in photos, she seems to be the youngest daughter....her eyes are exceptional....they more speak than her face.....beautiful series.....only i wud advise, on the photo with foot on chair....that is a little bit high angle, so foreshortening occures...that wud have been excellent at waist level or below....kudos...a charming face.

Weet woow
nice images, great model
and one heck of a name... if i had a name like that i would be putting it everywhere!!
Love the PP

Looking at them again i noticed something. Light can be mean sometimes. This is probably one of the most common corrections in portrait photography... i hope you don't mind! Eight clicks in total with the healing brush.

3568434517ca1eb82779b.jpg

Another thing - second post, first photo: Go a little easier on the face and remember that all visible skin should have a uniform look after editing. In this example the shoulder looks completely untouched, in contrast to the face.

I don't mind at all. But, (I hate to say this) can you tell me what you did? I think I need my computer calibrated (I plan on buying one soon), but I put the pictures side by side and can't tell the difference. The only noticeable (very slightly at that if I'm even right) is you might have smoothed out the chin area? I'm very sorry...I just can't see the difference. Point me in the right direction. I'm here to learn.

Great work!

You have made HUGE steps forward from some of your earlier work I remember seeing on here.

I guess she'll be going straight to you from now on? ;)

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad to know I'm at least improving some.

I hope she comes to me in the future. She changes hair styles like she changes her clothes...so I think it's time for another photo shoot. :lol: I was just telling her that today.

in photos, she seems to be the youngest daughter....her eyes are exceptional....they more speak than her face.....beautiful series.....only i wud advise, on the photo with foot on chair....that is a little bit high angle, so foreshortening occures...that wud have been excellent at waist level or below....kudos...a charming face.

Haha...she's about to be 21 next month and we were actually pregnant together last year. Her little sister http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/170484-few-friends.html http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/161811-bath-time.html
and my grandson(http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/161829-my-grandsons-easter-pictures.html) are 3 months and 3 days apart. ;o)

Yea, after I did the picture (standing on a ladder) and seen it, I thought hmmm, there's just something wrong with that angel. Maybe I should have shot up instead. I'm definately going to try that next time. I think I need more props... :lol:

I don't mind at all. But, (I hate to say this) can you tell me what you did? I think I need my computer calibrated (I plan on buying one soon), but I put the pictures side by side and can't tell the difference. The only noticeable (very slightly at that if I'm even right) is you might have smoothed out the chin area? I'm very sorry...I just can't see the difference. Point me in the right direction. I'm here to learn.

I edited the shadows under her eyes to a smooth gradient. I didn't notice it at first (try tilting your head 90 degrees), but once i did i had to edit it... it is trivial but can make a big difference IMO (i'm not sure how it is in higher resolution; resize can make it worse). To see the difference open the photos in different browser tabs or full screen windows and switch between them.

I didn't edit the chin at all.

Most reactions

Back