My father's photos: 1000-km bicycle tour through Libya (I)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Let me underline this over and over again: I am not the author of these photos. My father took them on his group trip to Libya at the beginning of October. He went there with his bicycle in his luggage (I had never seen a bicycle-case before, but he has one! Huge thing! :) ), and was member of a group of 37. At 75 years of age, he was the oldest member. They went on a tour starting in Tripolis first going west along the coast, then turning inland into a mountain range, alongside that range, back to the coast east of Tripolis and then back into the city. It was a trip of all in all exactly 997 km in temperatures of between 40°C (on the coast) and "only" 32 - 35°C in the mountains at a height of some 600 metres.

My father let me choose some that I deemed representative enough for this board of the adventure of going on that trip by bicycle and of the country they were in. He does not know WHICH ones exactly I chose, but he is happy with any. He agrees to my putting them up for all of you to see. He has been to this board before when he was here visiting and knows it, likes it, and was quite impressed with some members' photos here!!!

OK, he had someone take this photo, it is HIM, in Libya, for he at least ONCE wanted to also show in his own photos. I want to begin the series with this one, even though chronologically it would belong elsewhere, but this is how he and all the others travelled:

Papa_Libyen00.jpg

Of course they were travelling with more luggage but they did not have to carry all of it, there were several trucks accompanying the group, a water tank, a food truck with some cooks on board and an ambulance are the three that I remember him tell me about.

Papa_Libyen00a.jpg

Other group members and some of the accompanying vehicles ... and my dad told me, others also took photos with their light-weight digital cameras WHILE they were cycling, but he could not weild his big SLR around in that situation! So he had to wait for rests to take photos at all.

Papa_Libyen01.jpg

Of course they also went to visit some historic sites that were in their paths, such as these Roman excavations on the coast ... and I so wanted to memorize all the names, but couldn't ... doh! :meh:

Papa_Libyen02.jpg

And this is how they spent the nights. Some had brought tents, but most had to sleep in the open. The matrasses that the organisation team provided them turned out to be child-bed sizes...

Papa_Libyen03.jpg

The following photo was taken on the day they had to climb up the mountain range and had to cover some 300 height metres within this short distance. Phew! I would not be able to do this.....

Papa_Libyen04.jpg

I think I better split the thread here and send the remaining few in another thread... so stay tuned! :)

What a wonderful experience it would have been! your father must be quite a man... phew... rough terrain.. beautiful sights .. and his wonderful photos nicely documented by you... :) thanks for telling us the facts behind each
very neat shots and thanks so much for sharing them with us :)

Just looked over the entire series, both threads, and I must say your father is amazing! I might have keeled over in some of these conditions - he looks to be in awesome shape, and looks great on his bike! :)

Looks like it was a fun and educational experience, too. Thanks for sharing these.

Envious for what?
The fact that he could go to that country?
The fact that he is still this fit at 75? (Then we share a feeling!!!!!)

LaFoto said:
Envious for what?
The fact that he could go to that country?
The fact that he is still this fit at 75? (Then we share a feeling!!!!!)

:thumbup: he looks great

There aren't words enough to express how much I admire him for his stamina and determination! To go on this at his age means, of course, that he must stay in training every day! A cycling trip of between 60 and 90 kms a day is the norm he goes by (not in winter, then he does different sorts of indoor training).

What is it that keeps you from replying?
Do I write to much? Is the info going with the pics too extensive? (I felt it necessary to put it there).

Corinna, great series!!!

You can't write too much! A picture may tell a thousand words, but a picture with ten words will tell two thousand words!
(I mean it, and there is nothing wrong with my maths.)
Great shots. I'd love to do something like that but don't think I'd be fit enough!

Bumped for my sister

Most reactions

Back