My Film camera collection...so far.

I have for my minoltas

Minolta 50mm 2.0 (X2)
Vivitar 70-150mm 3.8 Macro
Minolta 50mm 1.7
CPC 28mm 2.8 Macro
Focal 135mm 2.8

I have taken a liking to my XG-M, so I was considering resurfacing my XG-7 as the lether shaow gaps at the sides. I just might have to give mine a nice black finish wile I'm at it.

I want the 70-150mm vivitar, if it wouldent be international shipping, i'd consider buying things from you :p if you re-surface/re-finnish the XG7 you will have to post photos

I want the 70-150mm vivitar, if it wouldent be international shipping, i'd consider buying things from you :p if you re-surface/re-finnish the XG7 you will have to post photos

Yeah, I plan on posting before and after photos of any and all cameras I resurface, it's just a question of getting up the ambition to do it.

Also uppon further review, I faild to notice the brassing on yours, Mine has none to speak of, but the leather is shrunk the same way, seems to me all XG-7's I've seen have that going on.

Also uppon further review, I faild to notice the brassing on yours, Mine has none to speak of, but the leather is shrunk the same way, seems to me all XG-7's I've seen have that going on.

I did notice this before I bought it, but thought it was only an asthetic issue, I hope its nothing major.. ? ? untill this one I had no idea they were made out of copper..or brass as you said? looks more like copper to me.

I did notice this before I bought it, but thought it was only an asthetic issue, I hope its nothing major.. ? ? untill this one I had no idea they were made out of copper..or brass as you said? looks more like copper to me.

No, it's nothing major, it's just cosmedic. What it is, is where the paint has been literally worn down to nothingness over years of use and handeling.

And yeah it's usually brass I do believe.

Thats good to hear, I kinda like the "used" look, but could also mean that this camera has seen alot, and been through alot of actuations, but thats ok, its still one of my fav, is there lots to resurfacing cameras? would bring back some life, but just taping them off and throwing some paint on doesent seem like the right thing to do :p

Thats good to hear, I kinda like the "used" look, but could also mean that this camera has seen alot, and been through alot of actuations, but thats ok, its still one of my fav, is there lots to resurfacing cameras? would bring back some life, but just taping them off and throwing some paint on doesent seem like the right thing to do :p

No....you can't just mask them off and expect it to go over well. too many moving parts.

The camera has to be dismantled and each individual paint surface gets painted. The older the camera the easier it is, the more electronics crammed into the device the harder it is to dismantle.

So yeah, for total resurfacing there is a lot of work in it.

The leather replacing is different beast and a lot less involved but still not as easy as it sounds. A good person to talk to about the leather resurfacing is Mitica100, he's done a few and wrote a tutorial on it.

I'm not afraid of taking them apart, but is there a less "in-depth" approach? The reason i've been asking is, a couple of my camera's have names/numbers atc. engraved on them and it would be awesome to get rid of that crap :p

I'm not afraid of taking them apart, but is there a less "in-depth" approach? The reason i've been asking is, a couple of my camera's have names/numbers atc. engraved on them and it would be awesome to get rid of that crap :p

To be honest with you...not really. if you want the camera to look right it has to be done right, further more there is going to be some sand paper work with engravings. Just painting them over is not going to work, the paint will just conture to it and it'll still be there only the color will be filled in.

To be honest with you...not really. if you want the camera to look right it has to be done right, further more there is going to be some sand paper work with engravings. Just painting them over is not going to work, the paint will just conture to it and it'll still be there only the color will be filled in.

I was planning on sanding and maybe some minor bondo/filler if needed, I just dont want to do it if the paints not gunna want to stick to just a "section" of the body as the whole thing wouldent be prepped, Its something I will have to look into, or if i decide to do it I will photograph my proccess and share. its not like the engraving affects the way it works, it just somewhat bothers me that its there, detracts from there beauty haha. maybe its just me

I was planning on sanding and maybe some minor bondo/filler if needed, I just dont want to do it if the paints not gunna want to stick to just a "section" of the body as the whole thing wouldent be prepped, Its something I will have to look into, or if i decide to do it I will photograph my proccess and share. its not like the engraving affects the way it works, it just somewhat bothers me that its there, detracts from there beauty haha. maybe its just me

You'll want to prep all painted parts. and yeah I had the bondo run through my mind as well but I'm a certified autobody technition so that is the first thing I think of......:lol:

Also be careful with sanding. some bodies are actually plastic with a thin brass coating under the paint, The AE-1 is one like this. It's one of many ways camera manufacturers reduced weight of their camera bodies. Sand through that and your body is cosmedically toast.

Hi guys, as to the bondo thing, I wouldn't. The best thing would be to use lead solder and sand it down. Bondo can look different from metal once it's finished and the engravings are not really deep enough for bondo to stick well and hey, who wants to go through taking a camera apart again if you don't have to? ;^)

Hi guys, as to the bondo thing, I wouldn't. The best thing would be to use lead solder and sand it down. Bondo can look different from metal once it's finished and the engravings are not really deep enough for bondo to stick well and hey, who wants to go through taking a camera apart again if you don't have to? ;^)

That is why I did not suggest it originally. If one does not know how to work it you are correct, it'll show, however you are mistaken about the engravings not being deep enough, if it's properly preped it'll stick...but anyways.

yeah, bondo doesent show on cars...when its done properly, i do it almost everyday so i'm sure i could pull it off, but anyway :p i've decided to just live with them for now.

I did pick up an auto winder for my minolta, it was at the same place i got the camera, wish i seen it before, kinda cool to play around with, adds alot of weight to the camera though.

xg7motordr.jpg

xg7motordr2.jpg

Got another one this evening, it is a Konica Autoreflex T, also got a 50mm f1.8 and a Konica 135mm f3.2 lenses
a handheld sekonic lightmeter, and a vivitar zoom thyristor 2500 flash, and some badass vintage leather camera case.
$60 for the lot

the shutter seems to be stuck on it, I did test it before purchasing and it fired a few times :s i was lookin forward to using this camera.

pics will come tomarow

Most reactions

Back