What's new

My first attempt at a panoramic picture

philmts

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Location
Blackpool uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there this picture was my first attempt at a panoramic picture.

Taken in 2011 on my GE A1200 (12.1 Mpixel) digital camera

I actually made a big mistake doing this but didnt realise untill i got home see if you can spot it :)

Kynance cove in Cornwall

 
You didn't shoot the photos in manual so your blending is way off.
 
The problem is that I was using a basic digital camera, the panoramic mode asks you to take 3 pictures spanning from right to left, i accidentally overlaped one of the photos
 
The problem is that I was using a basic digital camera, the panoramic mode asks you to take 3 pictures spanning from right to left, i accidentally overlaped one of the photos
You'll struggle to take successful panoramics unless you have a camera that shoots in manual. The aperture and shooting speeds need to be identical. Panoramics are usually best shot in portrait orientation to keep longditude detail. They should overlap by 40% or so to assist panoramic software in post processing to make the best job at blending. In my view the panoramic function on many cameras is a gimmick. They are fine for snapshots but aren't any real use as photography. Real panoramic shots take a lot of time and precision and can be really frustrating on days when the sun goes in and out of clouds. I fear you're going to really struggle to do a real pano with your camera
 
I apreciate the comments given, but I should have said in the origional post. I am a complete amateur at photography, i do not know what blending is nor did I use and panoramic software, yes the in built function on my camera is a gimmick, any tips on how i can actually do this and get great pictures will be helpfull :)

Thanks
Phil
 
So what DO you shoot with?

Do keep up! ;) he says in his OP. "GE A1200 (12.1 Mpixel) digital camera"

To the OP. You're not going to get great shots using the panoramic function on a point and shoot. I would recommend learning the basics on exposure and composition using the camera that you have. I don't know what manual functions it has but you won't learn very much while the camera makes all the decisions. You need to liberate yourself from the evil green circle that is the Auto function. have a look through the posts in the beginners section.
 
I will go there and read, do you think i can get great shots with my basic camera? and I will sure get playing with the manual settings. im not sure how many it has but I will try those. Thanks for your help
 
I will go there and read, do you think i can get great shots with my basic camera? and I will sure get playing with the manual settings. im not sure how many it has but I will try those. Thanks for your help
You can certainly work on your composition with any camera, even a mobile phone camera. If you get more interested in being able to do more with your photography then you could look at a second hand DSLR. There are good second hand camera shops in Manchester and Leeds where you might be able to pick up say a Canon 400D for a cheap price. Learning photography isn't about the number of megapixels, it's how you catch the light, and you'll catch it better when you can have lots of say how it's captured.
 
Ok thanks, living in blackpool im sure I can find ways of bending the light to my taste, I will certainly keep a look out for a cheap 2nd hand dslr thanks for all your help so far :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom