What's new

My First Attempts at Suicide/Depression Awareness Set. C%C Please!

Well, I'm no psychologist, but i play one on the internet, and these are all completely wrong. Why on earth you wish to portray suicide is beyond me.

I thought the title of this thread was PREVENTION, not encouragement. But you do what you think is best.
 
Well, I'm no psychologist, but i play one on the internet, and these are all completely wrong. Why on earth you wish to portray suicide is beyond me.

I thought the title of this thread was PREVENTION, not encouragement. But you do what you think is best.

Can you explain? He's telling people that suicide is not the answer. I don't understand your post.
 
Honestly I thought about suicide when I was much younger but after going to so many funerals from friends that killed them self or died in motorcycle accidents even drug over dozes and seeing the devastation to families No way suicide. I found for me the best way to help my self is to help others. I volunteered at churches to help families that need help from moving From lose of fire or what ever circumstance at the time. You don't need to be religious, you just need to care a little bit. IMO its very rewarding to make some one down and out smile a little.
 
Last edited:
Well, I'm no psychologist, but i play one on the internet, and these are all completely wrong. Why on earth you wish to portray suicide is beyond me.

I thought the title of this thread was PREVENTION, not encouragement. But you do what you think is best.

Can you explain? He's telling people that suicide is not the answer. I don't understand your post.

Doing my best to hold my tongue here. He is showing the instruments of suicide FCS!

What, am I the first one to see it? I think the OP might do well to run this past the local professionals before he publishes this lot.

When I first read the title, I thought I was going to see the positive aspects of life, not the instruments of death.

Oh, he**, why doesn't he just show guns and bridges and pills, while he's at it? I mean, why stop at a noose? Did he simply run out of ideas?
 
Well, I'm no psychologist, but i play one on the internet, and these are all completely wrong. Why on earth you wish to portray suicide is beyond me.

I thought the title of this thread was PREVENTION, not encouragement. But you do what you think is best.

Can you explain? He's telling people that suicide is not the answer. I don't understand your post.

Doing my best to hold my tongue here. He is showing the instruments of suicide FCS!

What, am I the first one to see it? I think the OP might do well to run this past the local professionals before he publishes this lot.

When I first read the title, I thought I was going to see the positive aspects of life, not the instruments of death.

Oh, he**, why doesn't he just show guns and bridges and pills, while he's at it? I mean, why stop at a noose? Did he simply run out of ideas?

Merely seeing the 'instruments of suicide' doesn't make you suicidal...

If you look at a picture of a gun, and then think of putting it in your mouth - it's not because you saw a picture of a gun!
 
Well, I'm no psychologist, but i play one on the internet, and these are all completely wrong. Why on earth you wish to portray suicide is beyond me.

I thought the title of this thread was PREVENTION, not encouragement. But you do what you think is best.

Can you explain? He's telling people that suicide is not the answer. I don't understand your post.

Doing my best to hold my tongue here. He is showing the instruments of suicide FCS!

What, am I the first one to see it? I think the OP might do well to run this past the local professionals before he publishes this lot.

When I first read the title, I thought I was going to see the positive aspects of life, not the instruments of death.

Oh, he**, why doesn't he just show guns and bridges and pills, while he's at it? I mean, why stop at a noose? Did he simply run out of ideas?

Just because what you saw was not what you were expecting to see does not mean his interpretation is any less valid.
 
Ease up guys. In case you didn't see his other posts he is a survivor and using his interest in photography to help with his own understanding of what happened to himself and is trying to send a clear message of encouragement and share his own story.

Hoff, I really like that you've been brave enough to use self portaits, that speaks a lot and has great emotional value. Technically I think you have some blown out highlights in some areas and your wb seems a bit off. I can't help think these would have more impact shot in B&W, with some light on your key elements with the backgroundslightly oof.
 
Well, I'm no psychologist, but i play one on the internet, and these are all completely wrong. Why on earth you wish to portray suicide is beyond me.

I thought the title of this thread was PREVENTION, not encouragement. But you do what you think is best.

Can you explain? He's telling people that suicide is not the answer. I don't understand your post.

Doing my best to hold my tongue here. He is showing the instruments of suicide FCS!

What, am I the first one to see it? I think the OP might do well to run this past the local professionals before he publishes this lot.

When I first read the title, I thought I was going to see the positive aspects of life, not the instruments of death.

Oh, he**, why doesn't he just show guns and bridges and pills, while he's at it? I mean, why stop at a noose? Did he simply run out of ideas?

You're right, sorry. Clearly I should just post pictures of beautiful meadows and pretty flowers with signs that say "everything's perfect!." No. You know why? Because everything's NOT ****ing perfect. You know why I chose to include the noose? It's to signify the demons in one's head and the looming thoughts of self-harm that people with depression face. Know why I chose to take them in a dark, dingy basement? That symbolizes the mind of a depressed person and the feeling of isolation and hopelessness that we feel at times. I want to appeal to people like me, people that know what depression feels like. People that, at times, need to convince themselves to make it through the day. It's an illness just like any other and I'm not going to show them pictures that downplay the severity of this illness. I'm going to take pictures that, to me (and many other people like me, mind you), signify the ugliness of depression and suicide. Did you know that most of us that suffer from depression and attend therapy connect more with the more realistic-minded therapists than the bubbly, "everything's great!" therapists. I'd venture to guess that you've never dealt with depression. If I'm right, then I'm happy for you. But don't imply that I'm doing this for the wrong reasons. It's not my fault you can't stomach the sight of a noose. I'm sorry that I'm trying to portray this in a realistic manner. Whenever you want to join us in the real world, feel free.
 
You're right, sorry. Clearly I should just post pictures of beautiful meadows and pretty flowers with signs that say "everything's perfect!." No. You know why? Because everything's NOT ****ing perfect. You know why I chose to include the noose? It's to signify the demons in one's head and the looming thoughts of self-harm that people with depression face. Know why I chose to take them in a dark, dingy basement? That symbolizes the mind of a depressed person and the feeling of isolation and hopelessness that we feel at times. I want to appeal to people like me, people that know what depression feels like. People that, at times, need to convince themselves to make it through the day. It's an illness just like any other and I'm not going to show them pictures that downplay the severity of this illness. I'm going to take pictures that, to me (and many other people like me, mind you), signify the ugliness of depression and suicide. Did you know that most of us that suffer from depression and attend therapy connect more with the more realistic-minded therapists than the bubbly, "everything's great!" therapists. I'd venture to guess that you've never dealt with depression. If I'm right, then I'm happy for you. But don't imply that I'm doing this for the wrong reasons. It's not my fault you can't stomach the sight of a noose. I'm sorry that I'm trying to portray this in a realistic manner. Whenever you want to join us in the real world, feel free.

You rock
 
Okay folks, let's keep the discussion on track here!

No offense or anything, but I thought this discussion was going pretty smoothly - considering the subject matter.

I mean, it's bound to hit some people the wrong way, but that's kind of the point, isn't it?
 
To be quite honest, I've suffered with depression earlier in life.

I don't find these to be well done or as something that I would find that would impact me in a positive way. I think there could have been A LOT more in terms of diversity and what the subject matter is.

I feel like these were threw together in an hour in your basement without a whole lot of thought or effort put in. Keep in mind, these are my thoughts alone judging only by the photos posted.

I also feel that people are sugar coating responses due to your past, which is something I don't believe will positively impact your photographic progression.

These are the things that I have derived from reading this thread. Feel free to disagree.
 
To be quite honest, I've suffered with depression earlier in life.

I don't find these to be well done or as something that I would find that would impact me in a positive way. I think there could have been A LOT more in terms of diversity and what the subject matter is.

I feel like these were threw together in an hour in your basement without a whole lot of thought or effort put in. Keep in mind, these are my thoughts alone judging only by the photos posted.

I also feel that people are sugar coating responses due to your past, which is something I don't believe will positively impact your photographic progression.

These are the things that I have derived from reading this thread. Feel free to disagree.

Thank you for your honesty. I don't want people to sugarcoat things. I'm not going to go into a depressive episode because people don't like my photos. Like I said, I'm an amateur and I know that.

As stated in my first post, this is just a concept. I plan on doing more with them, changing some things, having other people in the pictures, different settings, etc. I've been home the past few days so these are the ones I decided to try to work on. I know there's a lot of redundancy but I'm just testing some things out.

Edit: And to be honest, I don't think a subject matter like this should have "perfect" technical photography and I'm seriously not saying that just because these pictures aren't perfect, I honestly believe that. Depression is a really dark, dirty, cluttered, confusing thing. I'm trying to portray that. Even though my photography isn't the best, I feel like I could make these pictures a lot better from a technical aspect, but I'm not sure I want to.
 
Last edited:
I look forward to seeing your progression.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom