What's new

My First Attempts at Suicide/Depression Awareness Set. C%C Please!

Okay folks, let's keep the discussion on track here!

No offense or anything, but I thought this discussion was going pretty smoothly - considering the subject matter.

I mean, it's bound to hit some people the wrong way, but that's kind of the point, isn't it?
It is - Just want to make sure discussion remains relevant to the OP and doesn't devolve into other topics.... Someone's got to play the Grinch around here! ;)
 
With respect to the images; I think there's some real potential, and with a bit of fine tuning, I could see several of these being used as posters in an awareness campaign. My suggestion to the OP would be to discuss the project with a social worker/suicide prevention counsellor and a graphic designer to help refine the concept.
 
Edit: And to be honest, I don't think a subject matter like this should have "perfect" technical photography and I'm seriously not saying that just because these pictures aren't perfect, I honestly believe that. Depression is a really dark, dirty, cluttered, confusing thing. I'm trying to portray that. Even though my photography isn't the best, I feel like I could make these pictures a lot better from a technical aspect, but I'm not sure I want to.

Exactly. So make your photos of it dark, dirty, and confused.

There is a line somewhere where what would once be considered a mistake becomes an intentional decision. Technical perfection is not the "be-all-end-all". But, on the same token, if it looks accidental, well- it will look accidental. You don't want that.

I know that you may not have the skills to photograph what you see in your mind yet, but it will come. Knowing what you want is half the battle. Once you have a clear idea of exactly what you want to accomplish, you can start to figure out how to do that.
 
Like I said, I'm an amateur and I know that.

Amateur photographer is one thing, amateur psychologist is quite another.
 
So, tell me more about how the process of documenting this is helping you to deal with it...

I'm not suicidal, but I do have "dark" thoughts (don't we all), and I think photographing them could help. Still working out the technical details in my head, and deciding if I will even share them, lol - but I am sincerely interested in hearing your thoughts on this subject.


(I think just shooting it might be enough for me - sort of like writing in a journal.)
 
So, tell me more about how the process of documenting this is helping you to deal with it...

I'm not suicidal, but I do have "dark" thoughts (don't we all), and I think photographing them could help. Still working out the technical details in my head, and deciding if I will even share them, lol - but I am sincerely interested in hearing your thoughts on this subject.


(I think just shooting it might be enough for me - sort of like writing in a journal.)

To be honest, the entire process is very therapeutic for me. Coming up with the ideas (what I want to do, where, how, what props, etc.), Taking the photos (what should be in focus, composition, what am I trying to portray), editing them (what do I want to change to increase the effect) all are very relaxing for me. I know I'm not the best photographer obviously, but I still enjoy trying to mimic my ideas in my head as well as I can with my camera.

Basically, it helps me to get my emotions/feelings into a tangible object. Something I can see and touch, you know? It has helped me a lot, especially with getting over my ex-girlfriend and coping with the effects of my suicide attempt. These are all things I talk about with my friends, family, and therapists but sometimes I just have to try to turn my emotions into something I can see. Emotions are very overwhelming things, especially to someone who deals with depression, and I find that portraying my emotions in photographs helps me handle them better. I can think about how much regret I have about my suicide attempt but that doesn't change anything. When I look at the pictures, I can sort of rationalize to myself that what I'm feeling is not as bad as I make it out to be. Like I look at the picture about my ex and at first I get upset. But then I start thinking about how she lied to me, abandoned me, and just generally was not as good a person as I made her out to be in my head. I then start feeling better and realize that no matter how much I loved her, she was not worth attempting to end my life.

I hope this makes sense and offers a little insight into my intentions. Ideally, I want to help other people that feel like me. If my pictures and writing never do that, I can at least take pride in the fact that they helped me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom