My first Boudoir...Maybe NSFW

Don't take this the wrong way, but these are very harsh. There isn't anything soft or feminine about them, except for the girl. They are nicely exposed, but the posing needs work and they need more drama.

Take a look at Hollys work.
Boudoir Candy Photography - Austin, Abilene, Dallas & New York

Her lighting creates drama, her poses are extremely feminine, and processing adds to the softness.

These are a good start, but are you understanding what I'm trying to get across? Soften things up a little.

Don't take this the wrong way, but these are very harsh. There isn't anything soft or feminine about them, except for the girl. They are nicely exposed, but the posing needs work and they need more drama.

Take a look at Hollys work.
Boudoir Candy Photography - Austin, Abilene, Dallas & New York

Her lighting creates drama, her poses are extremely feminine, and processing adds to the softness.

These are a good start, but are you understanding what I'm trying to get across? Soften things up a little.

Thanks. Posing does need work as both she and I were first timers in this style of photography. As time goes by hopefully I will have more experience of posing etc.

I do like some of the work in that link, and some of the poses are very nice. I don't like the processing so much...it's TOO processed for me, and one of the things my model said was that she didn't want "airbrushing" as she called it, particularly with her freckles as she'd lost those in a previous photoshoot with another photographer. We were looking for more natural, as they are for the boyfriend, and showing her how she usually looks to him (sort of!).

I will definitely work on these poses and softness, however, and haven't taken your comment in the wrong way at all.
Thanks.

You can do a soft focus without "airbrushing". I agree on that point, I'd rather see natural skin instead of fake plasticky looking skin. Plastic skin is a pet peeve of mine as well.

Well #6 is my favorite, yes #1 and #2 seem to bright. She looks very comfortable, and it shows in the photographs. Working on Lighting is also my issue it is either to bright or not bright enough. Enjoyed the shots, keep up the Great work.

Well #6 is my favorite, yes #1 and #2 seem to bright. She looks very comfortable, and it shows in the photographs. Working on Lighting is also my issue it is either to bright or not bright enough. Enjoyed the shots, keep up the Great work.

Thank you. :)

I agree with ChristopherCoy on the matter of lighting and softness (although I think a feminine quality can exist in the absence of softness, it just isn't traditional, perhaps).

Moreover, after looking around at several boudoir sites including the one posted above (sexyawesomeyou), for strictly educational and research purposes, of course, I'm a little disappointed to see so much of the same theme, wardrobe, and scene: women dressed in fancy bras and panties and high heels rolling across beds, pouting and purring at the camera. Good grief! How about something more interesting and original, like, oh... maybe a space theme, half-dressed in a Star Wars costume, or set in a bakery with only dollops of cream on her naked body, or playing with potters clay in a workshop, or something more avant garde and edgy shot in a rusty industrial setting?

And I know a lot of people like that sexy, pouting or wanting look, but for me at least it doesn't work. Intentional sexiness is almost never sexy.

I agree with ChristopherCoy on the matter of lighting and softness (although I think a feminine quality can exist in the absence of softness, it just isn't traditional, perhaps).

Moreover, after looking around at several boudoir sites including the one posted above (sexyawesomeyou), for strictly educational and research purposes, of course, I'm a little disappointed to see so much of the same theme, wardrobe, and scene: women dressed in fancy bras and panties and high heels rolling across beds, pouting and purring at the camera. Good grief! How about something more interesting and original, like, oh... maybe a space theme, half-dressed in a Star Wars costume, or set in a bakery with only dollops of cream on her naked body, or playing with potters clay in a workshop, or something more avant garde and edgy shot in a rusty industrial setting?

And I know a lot of people like that sexy, pouting or wanting look, but for me at least it doesn't work. Intentional sexiness is almost never sexy.

I agree. We were hoping here for a un-forced look, no trout pout, no backside in the air, etc. I do think I would have liked a different background for some, even a dark one, but my studio is not quite equipped for that yet...

Dnno about Star Wars etc., as the idea is to perhaps represent the bedroom? But I can see that I would have fun with other ideas like yours but would not call it Boudoir....:)

Thanks.

Esquire Magazine has been running a series entitled "Me In My Place", which attempts to show sexy actresses and models in their OWN domicile...the poses are for the most part kitchen,living room, bedroom stuff, without a lot of fancy lingerie. The poses are "down to Earth", simple, basic....lots of shots of a woman in a shirt or tank top, panties, and, well...that's about it...VERY sexy in its own way. I've been hired to do a shoot based on that concept, the Me In My Place concept, next month, so...hopefully I can pull it off. In the meantime, it's back to educational trolling through boudoir sites....lol

Esquire Magazine has been running a series entitled "Me In My Place", which attempts to show sexy actresses and models in their OWN domicile...the poses are for the most part kitchen,living room, bedroom stuff, without a lot of fancy lingerie. The poses are "down to Earth", simple, basic....lots of shots of a woman in a shirt or tank top, panties, and, well...that's about it...VERY sexy in its own way. I've been hired to do a shoot based on that concept, the Me In My Place concept, next month, so...hopefully I can pull it off. In the meantime, it's back to educational trolling through boudoir sites....lol

Blimey, there are worse ways to make a living, eh?

And I like the shirt and panties idea...it could have worked well for this girl, especially if the shirt was the boyfriend's...or something of his from his Army gear...Hmmm...plans for future shoots! :)

On the one hand, there's value in originality. You're bringing something new to the table, which is why a client might use YOU over some other bloke.

On the other hand, there's value in deploying visual tropes. If the client wants Boudoir, there's an excellent chance she's expecting trout pout high heels purring at the camera. If the boyfriend or husband doesn't see trout pout high heels purring, there's at least some chance he's not going to really recognize what these pictures even ARE. We look at a picture in the context of all the other pictures we've seen, and if the one we're looking at right now doesn't look enough like something else we've seen, it's going to be a bit of a mystery. This is particularly true of people who haven't looked at a lot of pictures.

Obviously, I hope, this has very little to do with the shoot under discussion here, these are general remarks.

i enjoy a good boudoir type piece. the images are good.

for anything to add, i'd keep working with the poses. it was said here earlier girls in sexy poses actually don't feel that way when taking the shot and there's truth to it. you have to bend them and twist them all over to impact the dimensions of your frame sometimes. they may think "what is wrong with this guy?" but in the end, it will come out better.

she definitely has more potential, and next time if you shoot with her, you and her will be more comfortable to take some killer shots. otherwise, good work for a first time boudoir! looking forward to more :)

On the one hand, there's value in originality. You're bringing something new to the table, which is why a client might use YOU over some other bloke.

On the other hand, there's value in deploying visual tropes. If the client wants Boudoir, there's an excellent chance she's expecting trout pout high heels purring at the camera. If the boyfriend or husband doesn't see trout pout high heels purring, there's at least some chance he's not going to really recognize what these pictures even ARE. We look at a picture in the context of all the other pictures we've seen, and if the one we're looking at right now doesn't look enough like something else we've seen, it's going to be a bit of a mystery. This is particularly true of people who haven't looked at a lot of pictures.

Obviously, I hope, this has very little to do with the shoot under discussion here, these are general remarks.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments, and much is true. In this instance (and I know your remarks were general not specific) we exchanged links/photos etc. before we met and have attempted to emulate some of the poses/setting that she liked. It may not actually BE boudoir, but "A rose by any other name..." and all that. :)

i enjoy a good boudoir type piece. the images are good.

for anything to add, i'd keep working with the poses. it was said here earlier girls in sexy poses actually don't feel that way when taking the shot and there's truth to it. you have to bend them and twist them all over to impact the dimensions of your frame sometimes. they may think "what is wrong with this guy?" but in the end, it will come out better.

she definitely has more potential, and next time if you shoot with her, you and her will be more comfortable to take some killer shots. otherwise, good work for a first time boudoir! looking forward to more :)

Many thanks. I really do hope she'll come back and pose for me again, not just in thsi style, but other stuff too...I will ask. :)

Cheers

Uh, dude, do you actually believe some of the things you write? Some commissioned pictures of yourself, shown in panties and bra and high heels, and given to your lover... a man so incredibly stupid that he will not recognize what these pictures even ARE? A service man who has not seen enough pictures to recognize boudoir photos? A man who cannot recognize boudoir pictures of his own lover, due to lack of contextual cues. Trust me man--these pictures will not be "a mystery" to the solider headed to Afghanistan. Perhaps you could write him a field manual, to help him deal with these strange, out-of-this-world images?? zOMG!!! Thanks for the laughs!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back