My first Gray Jay

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We headed to Algonquin today to see some moose. As usual, I didn't see a moose. We did however see our very first Gray Jay. And the first snow of the year (yay!). We also played with a blue jay who followed us and kept posing for peanuts. It's my first time feeding a blue jay. He was fast!
DSC_7058.jpg

DSC_7061.jpg

DSC_7062.jpg

4. This one is my favorite
DSC_7066.jpg

DSC_7070.jpg

DSC_7085.jpg

DSC_7103.jpg

DSC_7105.jpg
DSC_7107.jpg

DSC_7058.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7088.jpg
    DSC_7088.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 106
These are very nice - #1 is my favourite of the lot. These guys have some serious banding on them. Did you get any pics of the Blue Jay?

WesternGuy

I like #5.

Thank you!

#3 for me. I love the snow, the green tree and the bird all together. Nice.

Thanks Ron. I loved the background on these ones, unfortunately, when we went back, they had moved to another area that didn't have the green and the snow. But now that we know where they are, we'll be back.

These are very nice - #1 is my favourite of the lot. These guys have some serious banding on them. Did you get any pics of the Blue Jay?

WesternGuy

I did get shots of the blue jay! Will post those tonight. Most of them have 4 bands, one silver and three colored. I tried looking up what it means, but not sure. Going to ask at the bird observatory in the spring.

Have to agree with Ron here. Number three is the loveliest of the bunch in my eyes.

I agree, number three.

I'd be proud of all of them. but, agree with #3

Love all of them.

But, add me to the list with #3 being a favorite.

Have to agree with Ron here. Number three is the loveliest of the bunch in my eyes.
Thank you.
I agree, number three.
Thanks!

I'd be proud of all of them. but, agree with #3
Ok, I think #3 is everyone's favorite? :) Gray Jay's are Scott's moms favorite bird, so she's getting a print. Looks like it's going to be 3.

Thank you.

Nice set!

Thanks! It's easy when they sit still and pose. lol

Love all of them.

But, add me to the list with #3 being a favorite.
Thank you.

Nice shots, cute little birds.

They were quite adorable.

How did you get them to land on your hands like that? That's pretty cool!
Did you try and report your birds? The USGS and Canadian Wildlife Service have this site where you can report your birds. If they can ID the birds they send you a certificate of appreciation with some background information (when/where they were banded and by whom). Here is the site Banded Bird Encounter Reporting
I reported a double crested cormorant this spring that was first banded as a chick just north of Lk Huron in 2007.

How did you get them to land on your hands like that? That's pretty cool!
Did you try and report your birds? The USGS and Canadian Wildlife Service have this site where you can report your birds. If they can ID the birds they send you a certificate of appreciation with some background information (when/where they were banded and by whom). Here is the site Banded Bird Encounter Reporting
I reported a double crested cormorant this spring that was first banded as a chick just north of Lk Huron in 2007.

Apparently, they have no fear of humans. All you had to do was hold your hands up. I've never seen them in my area, so I'm assuming they aren't around here. This was about 3 hours from home and we were told they are quite common there.

I didn't report the birds because I can't read the numbers on the bands. I don't know much about banding birds, I just started visiting a place that does it but I was only able to go a few times before they closed for the winter. Do I need to be able to see the numbers or can I just send them the pictures? We are confused about the colored bands. Most of them had one silver and three colored bands. I'll look into it more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back