My first portrait shot i took, Please critique

651stp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first photo + edit. Please critique nicely :p i only got my camera 3 days ago and im still learning. Any constructive critizm will be appreciated!

Why don't you start off by telling us what you think is good about this photo, and what you think could be improved.

We could fire off a bunch of comments and critiques, but if you've only had your camera three days, it really wouldn't be fair to you.

well for me personally, i like the photo the way it is but i'd just like to know what i could have done to improve it more? comopisition wise? is the color and exposure done right?

rule of thirds for something like this and shallow depth of field. my eye is drawn to the fence next to her face instead of her face. Best advice is to read up on rules of compositon and your manual.

Composition isn't so bad, though I'm sure there is someone that's going to pipe up about the fact that her head is chopped off. I don't mind it though. You've done good by not allowing the nose to break the plane of the face.

You've got a good exposure, perhaps a half stop over exposed or so.

You've used a nice DOF for the composition.

But your processing needs a little work. The WB is a bit green.

wow great feedback guys, i will definently do some more reading and keep it in mind on my next shoot in vegas! should i have put the model a little further from the fence and blown the fence out a bit more?

should i have put the model a little further from the fence and blown the fence out a bit more?

I'm not sure what you mean... and I'm guessing due to your beginner status, you probably don't know what you mean either.

Concentrate on getting good exposures and learning your camera first. Then worry about the rest.

i will keep trying :\ thanks for the constructive critisizm!

i have a feeling that you mean put the fence out of focuses when you say blown out? to blowout something out means the loss of color data you blowout you highlights when they become with solid white your focuses is ether in or out /in being sharp clear and out being not sharp or clear. hope this helps

I really like this photo I ran it thur lightroom here it is with less green
$untitled-1.jpg

can i ask what you did there to make it less green?

heres what i came up with after trying to make it less green.

can i ask what you did there to make it less green?
in lightroom I went under the white balance and choose the green slide knocked it down ,upped the red just a hair upped then I darkened the blacks and dropped the highlights all just a tiny bit

thanks for the help guys, i really do appreciate it. i need much work to be done. :) i love this place ! its funny bcuz to the untrained eye, like my family, they thought the very first picture unedited was already very good while i knew it was way to green. appreciate the feedback. i will work hard.

I think the less green version above looks a bit pallid and undersaturated.
Using a color balance layer

Attachments

• $IUHlZgreen.jpg
    $IUHlZgreen.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 109

Most reactions

Back