My first portraits ever............ please C & C

yugamu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. This is the very first attempt at any type of portraits and I need some help. All helpful hints and suggestions are very much appreciated.

-Josh

New Pics on Post #13

1).
DSC_0415filtered.jpg

2).
DSC_0426_1copy.jpg

3).
DSC_0471_1copy.jpg

4).
DSC_0465_1copy.jpg

5).
DSC_0476_1copy.jpg

C&C per req:
1. Bright, direct sunlight is not generally your friend in portraiture. The blown or nearly blown highlights on her hair, and right forearm as well as the white reflection in her right sunglass lens are somewhat distracting.
2. A nice casual portrait, however the uneven illumination detracts from the image. A diffuse fill light to the photographers right aimed up from the ground, and perhaps a reflector would have helped to even it out and greatly increase the appeal of the photo.
3. I rather like the bad girl pose in this one, but again, uneven lighting; a little fill for her left leg/lower skirt would have helped. The in-focus background and especially the overhead wires don't work. The wires tend to lead the eye right over the subject, and the there's enough going on in the background that it's very distracting. Selective focus would have helped.
4. I like it; a lot!
5. This one doesn't really work for me. The highlight on her right arm is distracting, and the expression on her face doesn't [to me] seem to suit the pose.
Overall a nice set of pictures with a few minor issues. I would say that both you and your model have great potential - keep at it!

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

Uneven lighting is the main issue with all of these shots. Black is extremely hard to light well and even more so against a white background or back lighting. There was not sufficient fill or front lighting and the eyes which are important only show up brightly in the last shot.

skieur

Tirediron and skieur........thanks very much for the C&C.

Feel free if you have some spare time to do a quick edit. As I am a bit more of a visual learner.

If anyone else has some more input as well I'm very open to suggestions and recommendations.

-Josh

#1 is my favorite, actually. You might say it broke some rules with the harsh light from both the front and the back, but I like it. It really kinda grabs me.(or maybe it was the model:blushing:) The only things I would try to change is getting rid of the pole and altering the composition, but even then, a couple of shadows are working to frame her.

This image was fun to play with. I added a Levels Adjustment layer first to brighten it up. Then I used the Clone Tool to remove her tan line and the cord hanging to the right of her. I use Kubota Actions so I painted in some light with Digital Fill Flash (V2) on most all of her body, giving a little extra attention to her eyes. Next, I played Skin Powder Genie (V3) to even out skin tones in her face and chest. Lastly I played LOTR-Return of the King (V2) and turned the softy layer down to 40%. Hope you likey!

GirlonWall.jpg

Eryn
Kubota Image Tools Team

Hope you don't mind the edit. Eryn and I both did an edit without looking at the other's image.
I used a bunch of Kubota Actions and a tad of regular retouching to get rid of the tanline. I used "Digital fill Flash" a ton on the face. I used "Smokeless burn" on the edges to paint in a vignette. I used "Tea Stained" from V3 and then sharpened the eyes with "Amazing detail finder" from V2 and I went back over the skin with some "skin powder genie" from V3. Added a tiny little grunge edge from onOne Photoframes.

It was a ton of fun, What a great image.

DSC_0465_1copy.jpg

Amber
Kubota Image Tools team

just some thoughts:

1. the hair and glasses are bugging me and the ribbon in between the fingers ... overall great picture!!!
2. again the hair...
3. again the hair... and the left finger position but i really love the composition/lighting/background etc.!!
4. great but i love "amberlark's" edit xoxoxoxoxo
5. gorgeous! love the hair (seems to flow better...) perfect composition!!! xoxoxooxoxox

#4 is the best of the lot. A few things I noticed to be aware of if you get another chance to shoot her again.

1 - The tan lines are distracting.
2 - (In that pose, #4) Have her hike up the right boot to remove the crumple at the ankle.
3 - (I may be wrong) The darker than skin color stockings are unattractive to me.
4 - Be mindful of her hand and finger positions. It's best when they're not square to the camera (hands) and evenly spaced (fingers)
5 - Have her to shift camera right to reveal the downstroke of the letter K. (optional) :biggrin:

Although I prefer your original to the edits, I wish her face was illuminated a tad more. Very pretty model.

Just my 2¢. Good work.

Wow............Thanks everyone.

I appreciate the edits, Amber and eryn.
I hopped on here expecting to get nailed to the wall. I got a pleasant surprise. For a guy who takes a lot of pictures of cars this means a lot. If anyone has anymore comments and/or edits in them feel free to give it a go.

I will hopefully be in a studio in a couple of weeks to learn more about portrait lighting in a closed environment. I look forward to sharing them with you and getting some more advice.

Thanks again,

-Josh

C&C per req:
1. Bright, direct sunlight is not generally your friend in portraiture. The blown or nearly blown highlights on her hair, and right forearm as well as the white reflection in her right sunglass lens are somewhat distracting.
2. A nice casual portrait, however the uneven illumination detracts from the image. A diffuse fill light to the photographers right aimed up from the ground, and perhaps a reflector would have helped to even it out and greatly increase the appeal of the photo.
3. I rather like the bad girl pose in this one, but again, uneven lighting; a little fill for her left leg/lower skirt would have helped. The in-focus background and especially the overhead wires don't work. The wires tend to lead the eye right over the subject, and the there's enough going on in the background that it's very distracting. Selective focus would have helped.
4. I like it; a lot!
5. This one doesn't really work for me. The highlight on her right arm is distracting, and the expression on her face doesn't [to me] seem to suit the pose.
Overall a nice set of pictures with a few minor issues. I would say that both you and your model have great potential - keep at it!

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

i would have to agree with him with your first batch but it was good for your first time better than mine :roll:

and to your second try i retouched # 3 & 4 to how i think they should look

DSC_0437_filteredcopy.jpg

(I cropped out the right side too much and darkened it a little bit)
DSC_0468_1_filteredcopy.jpg

(darkened it a little too)

Thanks for the edits, tkaat. I always enjoy seeing other peoples perspectives. It gives me ideas and helps me out.

-Josh

Most reactions

Back