My first shoot. Are they good?

Last edited:
better than mine. I like 2 and 4 best. agree about the fill flash.
your friend looks so comfortable in front of the camera too. nice job.

I have no idea what camera you purchased is capable of, but did you shoot these in auto? or Manual settings? They are all really underexposed. The first one, is exposed properly for her shirt but not her face, well what is the most important part of a portrait? the face!

I'll just add what hasn't been said...a "square" crop only works with some subjects.

Not bad at all for a first series, heck, pretty ok actually ;)

I have no idea what camera you purchased is capable of, but did you shoot these in auto? or Manual settings? They are all really underexposed. The first one, is exposed properly for her shirt but not her face, well what is the most important part of a portrait? the face!

It's a Sony Nex-5N. I shot in Aperture priority.

That is why they are all underexposed.

What metering mode did you use?

bleeblu said:
Your last two links don't seem to work.

The first site was so informative! Thanks for sharing. Us newbies need those ever so important tutorials:)

you can get well exposed pictures with all metering modes. it all depends how you use the meetering mode you choose, so saying that its underexposed because he used a different metering mode is irelevant.

He could have used Aperture and point meetering, meter for the face and shoot a well exposed shot, or use matrix. metter for the background highlights use AE lock and add + 2 to the exposure compensation and get the same result.

you can get well exposed pictures with all metering modes. it all depends how you use the meetering mode you choose, so saying that its underexposed because he used a different metering mode is irelevant.

He could have used Aperture and point meetering, meter for the face and shoot a well exposed shot, or use matrix. metter for the background highlights use AE lock and add + 2 to the exposure compensation and get the same result.

Yes, exactly so that is what I wanted to see if he did... or did he just let the camera choose?

The composition isn't to bad, but the use of light in them all is.

Here is a helpful tutorial: Making the Most of Natural Light in Photography

And some somewhat more advanced stuff: Portrait Lighting with One Light: Introduction
Portrait Lighting with Two Lights: Fill Light

Your last two links don't seem to work.
+1
Did you miss:

The other 2 links are on the same web site. Copy the URL and delete all except http://www .cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials which will take you to the page - Digital Photography Tutorials.

I fixed those 2 links for those that haven't yet learned how to navigate around the internet.

White balance looks a little bit off, and a little bit of fill light for the shadows in her face would be good.

It's underexposed and she needs some fill light.

Nice shot, but the light in her is blotchy. She's got sun on her body, and the top of her head is in shade.

A little bit of fill light would bring her out more.

2 and 4 were great!!! Very good...I'm impressed!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back