My First!

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first shot of a merganser and a red-breasted one at that. I saw him suddenly and he was moving away fast so I had to get the shots quick with the settings the camera was already set to.

11142038-studio4.jpg

If you can make out the teeth, it's a good sharp shot. This one does, and has some nice light. You even managed to get catchlights in it's eye, so the settings worked a treat!

Your framing is a bit high, and there's a lot of foreground that doesn't add anything to the shot, so I'd suggest cropping it to a somewhat unusual (for wildlife) panoramic format of around 2:1.

Either way, it's a beautiful shot which any photographer should be pleased to have in their portfolio.

Not bad. Congrats.

Same situation several years ago. Popped up out of the water while shooting something else. What the heck is that? Two quick shots. Settings wrong. Gone. No where as clear as yours but, enough to identify it. Looking for redemption.

I like that- POV could have been a little lower- That's just me- I do love to lay in wet grass :) :) :)

Les

If you can make out the teeth, it's a good sharp shot. This one does, and has some nice light. You even managed to get catchlights in it's eye, so the settings worked a treat!

Your framing is a bit high, and there's a lot of foreground that doesn't add anything to the shot, so I'd suggest cropping it to a somewhat unusual (for wildlife) panoramic format of around 2:1.

Either way, it's a beautiful shot which any photographer should be pleased to have in their portfolio.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the input. After further review I have to say I like the dof the foreground adds to the shot. It's a personal choice.

Last edited:
Not bad. Congrats.

Same situation several years ago. Popped up out of the water while shooting something else. What the heck is that? Two quick shots. Settings wrong. Gone. No where as clear as yours but, enough to identify it. Looking for redemption.
Thank you. Hate it when that happens.

I like that- POV could have been a little lower- That's just me- I do love to lay in wet grass :) :) :)

Les
Thank you, but didn't have time to lay down, just dropped to one knee and get the shot. I was on a retaining wall a few feet above the water also.

Cute little fellow. I don't see anything wrong with that shot. I pulled it in on my desktop computer and it was still clear. Nice job.

Most reactions

Back