My flash melts faces...

My only concern would be to not damage the lensplate of the flash. If that gel melts onto the lensplate and sticks to or damages it, it could lead to other issues. This being the worst possible scenario:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/2372430385_f5cfb76bdc.jpg

Put that wasn't from a gel, that was from over using the flash. DH posted that two photographers were using the same flash all day and it was in constant use.

Apparently the SB800 doesn't have a mechanism to stop it from firing if it gets too hot.

Put that wasn't from a gel, that was from over using the flash. DH posted that two photographers were using the same flash all day and it was in constant use.

Apparently the SB800 doesn't have a mechanism to stop it from firing if it gets too hot.

Lol.. I know, that pic was all an april fools joke from the strobist site, but I have seen a faceplate that was damaged from a gel that melted to it and it looked close to that.

As for SB-800s not shutting down, I am not sure if it did not have it prior, but if I take 30-40 fast pics at 1/1 with my SB-800, it will no longer flash the blub but will flash the red light on the back and beep (happened to me once, and I am careful about it now. Tossing $340 out the window is not my fav thing to do).

Anyways, I'm off to a client! :D

As a stage lighting guy myself, I would make a holder for the gel, get a nice large one, and shoot through it from several inches away... about 4 should be just fine. I think that would give you enough distance to make this issue not a problem.

I almost melted a dancer but that was with a light that stayed on. :wink:

skieur

Lol.. I know, that pic was all an april fools joke from the strobist site, but I have seen a faceplate that was damaged from a gel that melted to it and it looked close to that.

Actually, the post from the day after his April fools joke said the only PS done to the flash picture was the coloring and it was actually melted. It was posted that he was on the same PW channel as the person who had their SB800 set to and that it was firing constantly at 1/2 power all day and when the guy check it, it was melted. He said it worked fine other than that.

Most reactions

Back