My friends gig

N E Williams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nathanewilliams.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, so 3 of my friends are in a band and they played a gig at a small venue last night, I decided to take my camera and I took about 90 pictures from different angles and I just want to know how to edit pictures of a band to make them look even better? I have started to use Helicon Filter and that is the only photo editing program I have. Here is one of the pictures, I think this is a great action shot, what do you think, any suggestions are more than welcome.

62031_130343607014881_100001177285131_169095_2497873_n.jpg

I don't have an editing suggestion, but I DO suggest taking a step to the right next time you shoot something like this to avoid the distracting mic stand in the foreground, :lol: :sillysmi:

Yeah that's a shame it's there and I didn't realise when I took it.

I don't have an editing suggestion, but I DO suggest taking a step to the right next time you shoot something like this to avoid the distracting mic stand in the foreground, :lol: :sillysmi:

Yeah that's a shame it's there and I didn't realise when I took it.

I did a lot of stuff like that too when I first started "band shooting" :lol: I still do sometimes... but not *as* often. You learn to see stuff like that faster as you keep practicing it. It's definitely a totally different monster from other types of photography, haha. You have to keep an eye on EVERY member of the band individually, as well as a whole unit... you have to watch out for obstacles on the stage that will ruin your shot, you have to watch out for obstacles in the audience that will ruin your camera... you have to learn to maneuver quickly through the audience to get to the other side of the stage before the bass player stops doing that cool thing he's doing... PHEW! What a workout! :lmao:

Thanks for the tips, people pictures are not really my interest but I did try last night to get good photos, haha obstacles in the crowd, nice.. I'll bare that in mind too :D

I did a lot of stuff like that too when I first started "band shooting" :lol: I still do sometimes... but not *as* often. You learn to see stuff like that faster as you keep practicing it. It's definitely a totally different monster from other types of photography, haha. You have to keep an eye on EVERY member of the band individually, as well as a whole unit... you have to watch out for obstacles on the stage that will ruin your shot, you have to watch out for obstacles in the audience that will ruin your camera... you have to learn to maneuver quickly through the audience to get to the other side of the stage before the bass player stops doing that cool thing he's doing... PHEW! What a workout! :lmao:

Thanks for the tips, people pictures are not really my interest but I did try last night to get good photos, haha obstacles in the crowd, nice.. I'll bare that in mind too :D

They're the only reason I'm planning on insuring my camera soon. You have no idea how many elbows would have connected with my lens had I not been vigilant. :lmao:

Luckily for me it was a small venue I was at and not too many people there so I had quite a lot of room to move around. I saw your band photos on your site, they're pretty good :thumbup:

They're the only reason I'm planning on insuring my camera soon. You have no idea how many elbows would have connected with my lens had I not been vigilant. :lmao:

Luckily for me it was a small venue I was at and not too many people there so I had quite a lot of room to move around. I saw your band photos on your site, they're pretty good :thumbup:

Definitely still working on improving, but it's a start. :lol:

:) Everyone has to start somewhere

I would suggest taking down the luminance on the dark side of the bar. Bring out the dark bits and draw out the bright bits. See what you get, if it's too dark increase exposure a bit and contrast.

Ideally you'd get a final image that had the bassist pretty bright, and that back wall pretty dark. And yeah, watch out for obstacles ;)

Most reactions

Back