My Girlfriends first time shooting.

BanditPhotographyNW

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My girlfriend and I walked around downtown Portland yesterday and I let her use my D7100 and 35mm 1.8. This was her first time using a DSLR or anything other than her cell for that matter lol. These were her favs and I edited them a little for her. She just wants to see what people who are not her loving boyfriend thinks. So have at her lol. I think she did quite well for a first time with a real camera.

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well I'd definitely say #1 is by far the best. I think she has a good eye!

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Looks like you're going to have some competition for who gets to take the camera out! Guess you're just going to have to buy her one now... I would agree, she seems to have a good eye! I too like #1. I wish the focus was more on the flower just to the right of the branch. It seems like the focus hit a tab behind it. Otherwise it's just a very pleasing composition. I also like #3. My only thought would be that I wish it had a little more DOF, so maybe the spigot was all or mostly in focus, but otherwise it's a nice shot!

weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Strong shots. I think these rank amongst some of the best first time walk about shots I've seen on here.

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
#1 missed the focus, otherwise it's a great shot with the back-lighting and colors.

#2 is uninteresting, cropped a bit too tightly, and the highlights are really blown out.

#3 would have been deleted off my PC if I took it. The DOF is too narrow, the only thing in focus--the subject--is just some water droplets. I see the intent behind the shot, but as is, it's a miss.

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
#1 lacks a clearly defined subject. I understand the intent, but to me it probably should be just the blossoms.
#2 framed a little too tightly, but with the cluttered background, I guess that is what had to be done. Perhaps a slightly different vantage point would help.
#3 She tried to get both fountains, but missed them both. I like the closeup, but the composition of just one would be off in that case.

Now you put these remarks in "boyfriend-speak" and help her along gently.

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Yes, keep the girlfriend

She'll get better with your tuteladge .. or the other way around depending what were talking about.

:)

OP
BanditPhotographyNW

BanditPhotographyNW

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks everyone for the responses. The DOF problems were my fault, I thought I had set it to auto mode but it was set to shutter priority and she had no idea how to adjust the aperture and such. So I failed her there. lol. Next time I will be more on top of giving her guidance.

NjStacker22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The fact that your girlfriend even picked up your camera and wanted to shoot with it makes her a winner in my book! Keep her and teach her!

Most reactions

New Topics