My lounge.. in multiple exposures glued together using layer masks..

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently saw a fantastic way to take photos of architecture, similar to HDR but much more in depth and decided to give it a try. Here is the standard P mode photo..

WGpYg.jpg

You can see it's fairly bland, a lot of detail is missing from the darker areas and from outside.

This is 6 exposures, painted together using layer masks. Including one where a shoot through umbrella was used to light up the side of the piano

6hAGn.jpg

Cool technique, but I would rather comment on that awesome lounge. Is it all windows on the roof? Thats awesome. I would worry about some dead branch breaking loose in a storm and taking the whole room out though haha.

Nicely done; any tutorial links or information to share?

Sure, well I saw it on kelbytraining Online Training Player | Kelby Training I believe the original video is viewable for non subscribers.

Cool technique, but I would rather comment on that awesome lounge. Is it all windows on the roof? Thats awesome. I would worry about some dead branch breaking loose in a storm and taking the whole room out though haha.
Thanks! Haha luckily there are no trees above it, although a donnie darko esque jet engine.. now that would be a different story.

**Ponders ripping the roof off of his house and putting in glass**

Since you are from the UK, I have to ask....are you a Top Gear fan?

Last edited:
This is how I do HDR with layer masks - or at least my false HDR with macro shots where its pulling out more detail from a duel processed RAW. I have to say I do find that the added control of using the layer masks does make things easier - especially with something like the above where you have clear defined edges to the different areas of the shot.

Interesting idea to use the light to illuminate only one frame - though in retrospect of the shot you might also have wanted a light for the urn in the lower right corner as its now left a little shadowed. You might also have tried adding one more exposure for the sky - just to dull the harsher light edge of some of the smaller patches of very bright sky in the shot (the top right side is where I'm especially looking with regard to this)

There was one darker one for the sky but it didn't translate well with the other layers and caused a bit of a halo. As for the urn I agree it's the one let down of the image.

**Ponders ripping the rood off of his house and putting in glass**

If you're British and male then you like Top Gear, it's the countries standard.

Thats what I figured. Thats my favorite show. I am actually PISSED that they are making an American version. You would think that as an American that would make me happy. Nope. Just won't be the same.

**Ponders ripping the rood off of his house and putting in glass**

If you're British and male then you like Top Gear, it's the countries standard.

Thats what I figured. Thats my favorite show. I am actually PISSED that they are making an American version. You would think that as an American that would make me happy. Nope. Just won't be the same.

Haha it's always the way, you Americans have some absolutely legendary shows and us British do as well. Why touch them? They don't need to be replicated just broadcast more!

Same as this. I've posted this before. Which obviously takes a lot longer thouh. But same technique

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back