My next lens will be a macro lens :)

there is a stepping ring that goes 52-58...

so all I am getting is the tam lens, 52mm coupling ring, and the 52-58mm step up ring...

right?

Hmm no wait you want a 58-52mm step down ring not a step up ring. You have to make the front thread on the 50mm smaller to accept the coupling ring. I think if you go the other way you will end with with a 58mm pair of threads that won't screw together - I think.

the diameter of the tam lens is 52mm ...

the diameter of the 50mm lens is 58mm...

am I going to be putting either lens on backwards?

here, this is what I am thinking...

TM55200EOS.jpg
+
MCMCR5252.jpg
+
FLU5258.jpg
+
CA5018AFUR.jpg

Tam lens + 52mm coupling ring + 52mm-58mm step up ring + 50mm lens

My brain just melted I think. I recommend just getting an extension tube. :)

I wanna be able to do more than 1:1 macro ;) that's why I am going the double lens route ;)

My brain just melted I think. I recommend just getting an extension tube. :)

I was starting to think the same thing by the way. Then I just slowed down and picked things apart until I figured it out. Partially at least.

I say get the 100mm macro , I know its more expensive but you will not regret it later. Dont forget you will need an external flash for macro.

Protip: The filter thread on the 50mm f1.8 is 52mm, not 58mm.

I suggest you spend a little bit more time re-reading the very good information that has been provided to you in this thread and weighing up your options, you still seem confused and are probably about to waste some money. Start small, you can go to 4:1 later but you're a world away from that at this stage, 1:1 will keep you busy for ages.

Hmmm. One of my lenses is 58mm. Could have sworn it was the 50mm. I will double check after my kids are down for their naps.

I am also going to make a list of all the suggestions here and then write out pros and cons to see what I can come up with.

Does anyone have any pics taken with the 100mm macro lens?

Hmmm. One of my lenses is 58mm. Could have sworn it was the 50mm. I will double check after my kids are down for their naps.

I am also going to make a list of all the suggestions here and then write out pros and cons to see what I can come up with.

Does anyone have any pics taken with the 100mm macro lens?

I have quite a few in the macro section , you will need to do some searching in the macro forum though. Also the pics I posted yesterday are not at 1:1.

Last edited:
nice shots :)

Now, kids are napping... time to weigh my options ;)

Apparently I missed something somewhere...

Want to make sure I have everything down and know what I'm doing :)

Okay, so here is what I came up with based on all the suggestions listed...

I am thinking that due to budget constraints, I am going to go with the coupling ring... The next best option would possibly be the macro filters... But there is no way in HELL I can afford $500 right now for a lens ;)

No matter what I do, I will be getting a polarizing filter and a 58—52mm step down ring so that all filters/hoods will fit all lenses that I currently own or plan to own in the near future (I am getting the tamron 55-200 lens as well)…

Suggestion 1: Extension Tubes
• http://www.adorama.com/KNAETSDEOS.html
• $169.00
• Attach right onto camera
• 3 pieces
• Will not interfere with filters/hoods
• Need external flash for macro
Suggestion 2: Sigma 70-300 macro tele zoom lens
• 508101 Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tele Zoom Lens for Canon EOS Cameras
• $209.00
• Lens attaches to camera
• Can be used for things outside of macro
• 3 pieces (include polarizing filter and hood)
• Uses filters/hoods
Suggestion 3: Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens
• 4657A006 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Auto Focus Lens - USA
• $529.00
• Lens attaches to camera
• Specifically a macro lens
• 3 pieces (include filter/hood)
• Can use filter/hood
Suggestion 4: Using coupler to use 2 currently owned lenses
• General Brand | 52mm to 58mm Macro Coupler | AM5258 | B&H Photo
• $8
• A little more difficult to put together
• Makes macro imaging possible: With my current lenses will give me 1:1 ratio for macro shots
• Total of 3 pieces being attached to camera body
• Cannot use filters or hood
• Still need external flash for macro
Suggestion 5: Close up filters
• 2820A002 Canon 58 Close-up Lens 250D (for Lenses 50mm to 135mm) or Canon | 58mm 500D Close-up Lens | 2822A002 | B&H Photo Video
• $89.95 or $84.95
• Makes macro possible
• Filter to add to lens
• Don’t know if it can attach to other filters or be used with a hood
• Still need external flash for macro

The last thing I need help with in regards to this macro thing...

What kind of flash can I get that is inexpensive and good for macro? I have heard of ring lights? What do they do?

You can use any type of flash if you are too close though you could cast a shadow from the barrel of the lens blocking some light. You could use a ring flash. They are expensive. Bower makes a regular flash/ring flash combo for like $160. Not the strongest or best build, but would work for you. You could also use a flash handheld with a remote trigger. Or use mirrors and reflectors or any combination or everything above.

You could always start with the extension tubes. Its cheap and they will work on any of your lenses and if you still aren't getting close enough, you can shell out for a macro lens to use WITH the extension tubes.

Most reactions

Back