My Random Photo - Oppinions please :D

POINT TAKEN about the watermark, so please critique the photo and pretend its not their. Thank you.

Dude, ain't gonna happen, it's the internet. You can say in bold print "I know the shirt is blue, it will be green on next shoot..how's the rest look"

and 85% of the next posts will say "I hate the blue shirt"

same with you and your watermark. Just ignore the watermark remarks.

btw...I hate your watermark too....just sayin'

Ok

Im going to jump on the computer right now and fix the watermark.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Right then........here is the UN-watermarked photo and also a snippet showing the history of the PP.
You can also see that I tried it in B/W, but I didnt like it so changed it back.
The early spot removal was for some lens flare that I must have picked up from the lighting to the right of the picture.

IMG_8577.jpg by Nick-R-Stevens, on Flickr

LRHistorySnip by Nick-R-Stevens, on Flickr

Well, it's a no brainer that it's better without the watermark. However, I am not a fan of tilt....so for me, it ruins it. However that is just my opinion. ;-)

You commented earlier how you felt a tilt would make a boring shot more interesting, or something like that. Unfortunately, to many, it just makes it a boring tilted shot. It does not add interest and usually ends up making the viewer say "why fuk is this tilted".

Same thing with hdr, tilt, selective color, and "fad" sort of trendy thing. Many folks mis-use techniques to try to salvage an image, and usually fail.

I did this many times. My first example was when I was learning how to make silky smooth water. I finally did it, and I was so proud of it, I posed it and one of the replies was "ok...so you got silky water, nice job, but it's still a boring ugly photo. Imagine it with no silky water and what would you have"

I did not take that as rude, it made me think of things differently.

I hope this does the same for you.

;-)

Bad tilt, bad watermark... what more can I say....

I get the watermark thing, and its now been removed.

What do you mean by "bad tilt", could you expand on that please?

You do realise I had to KNEEL in the snow to get that angle, just no pleasing some of yah :lol:

I did not take that as rude, it made me think of things differently.

I hope this does the same for you.

;-)

Im not taking any of the comments as rude, if I was sensative to comments, I wouldnt be posting it on a photography forum for other togs to critique :p
Im very critical of others photos and sometimes look at a photo and thing "hmmm, not how I would have done it, I would have done this ________".

Im not posting it to say "look how amazing this photo is, look how great Iam" to massage my ego.

Im posting so that I can learn from others and get help where I need it and then look at things from a new perspective, Thats the whole point of a forum right?

The whole angle, viewpoint and editing were done to try and make it look menacing and looming, but I understand its not to everybodys taste (but yea it is a boring photo other than that)

Last edited:
Bad tilt, bad watermark... what more can I say....

I get the watermark thing, and its now been removed.

What do you mean by "bad tilt", could you expand on that please?

You do realise I had to KNEEL in the snow to get that angle, just no pleasing some of yah :lol:

Dude, I've laid down in snow almost upside down, it's what we do to get the shot. lol.

The tilt just does not add anything to the image. It's very gimmicky and screams "hey..I'm new". It's not a bad thing, it's a learning thing. There are very few images that are extremely tilted that work to show perspective that make an image interesting. They usually start with a good solid image. This is just not a good solid image. It's not a bad thing, you're learning, so don't get upset. Just learn, keep shooting, and you'll see. Later on you'll revisit this image and go "wtf....noob" lol

what I see out of this images is 3 things you should take away as learning.

1 Night time exposure
2 dof control (isolation of subject)
3 exposing your subject with crazy bright lights behind it.

all of those three things you did well.

I have thousands of my learning practice shots that are boring that I used to shoot anything, literally anything, to practice a certain topic I chose to practice that week.

The subject is ok, definitely better without the watermark, but the tilt along with the perspective you shot this from makes me feel like you fell down drunk and snapped the shot.

I'm already revisiting some of my early photos and thinking wtf was I thinking.

So thank you for being honest about it all.

Maybe a less intense tilt, or no tilt at all. I like the light and the tones, the gray color of the snow kinda bugs me. Also,
​AVOID MASSIVE WATERMARKS.
Please note how viewing the pertinent part of a post or image can be difficult with large distracting text strewn across it.

Yea Tony S got it right....

I Was drunk, I fell over and in my drunken floundering attempts to get back up, the camera must have gone off by accident :rolleyes:

I agree as a viewer, "Dutch angle" or needless tilt never adds anything for me. Everywhere but abstract photos. Getting a unique angle on a car line. Something that looks interesting and almost a riddle to figure out what it is. I read one user describe , in a negative context, taking a close up of a planes rivets. It wasn't what he wanted to go for, but sometimes those shots grab the viewer.

A shot of a promenade, or whatever, at night, void of usual hustle and bustle, lighting casting unusual shadows, is the interest. Throwing tilt takes away from that. Maybe a different "level" perspective would have brought the interest you were going for. Not sure.

I think the edit you did looks good. Maybe some more white or brightness in the snow. Agree with the others needing some leveling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back