My two Kodaks,what should I do?

rparker762

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I inherited two old Kodaks from my aunts and am wondering what to do with them. Part of me wants to restore them but the other part says to sell them to someone who would appreciate them more. All of the issues are cosmetic as the leather on the outside of both is in disrepair. Inside despite a little dust, they are excellent and everything seems to function as intended.

The first is a No 1 Pocket Kodak Series II,

The other is a 1A Autographic Kodak Special Model B:

Thoughts? Should I part with them as is or restore them? I'm more into SLRs and DSLRs and not into collecting cameras so while they have some sentimental attachments, I'm sure someone would appreciate them more.

I love old cameras - but there isn't much monetary value to most of them. And it depends somewhat on condition. The leatherettte can be replaced so a collector might be interested.

If by chance there's a camera swap in your area the ones held near me have dealers that are interested in buying. Otherwise maybe try KEH, they buy and sell used and their vintage cameras are listed on ebay now (with individual descriptions and photos; their own website is now all stock photos). Or you could sell thru this site.

That second one, the Autographic, has more settings than mine or others I've seen. Those came with a metal stylus so you could open that little hinged (depending on the camera) or sliding door like on yours and write on the film (which is why those are called 'autographic'; people could write their names or the date, etc.). So if you find a small pencil shaped metal doohickey it might be the stylus for that camera.

At one time I had a medium size collection, about 70 bellows cameras of that type, and they just got to be a pain to dust.

One or two look good on a mantelpiece but..............

I kept a few of the most interesting, sold the rest.
What a relief.

Thanks for the input. After further examination, the Pocket Kodak shutter does not seem to work. It seems to stay open no matter what I do. The larger one does work and I tested it all all speeds so I think I'm gonna buy a couple rolls of 120 b&w film and see what I can come up with. I do have one question and haven't looked it up yet. How does one focus these or is it a shoot and pray type camera?

ETA: Found the manual so I found my explanation but I do have another question that is not explained in the manual. How far do you pull out the bellows and lens? Mine seem like it can pull all the way out?

Last edited:
I do have one question and haven't looked it up yet. How does one focus these or is it a shoot and pray type camera?
Moving the lens further away from the body focuses closer (as in extension tubes).
On the autographic, the front of the bellows should be on sliding rails. I think there are little squeeze tabs at the base of the bellows, allowing it to slide. Note it's linked to indicators on the baseplate showing the focusing distance as seen in the first of your autographic shots.
The first one looks like it may have fixed front bellows, in which case focusing would be by twisting the knurled bit at the front of the lens, screwing it in & out on the mount...
However it looks as if the front element of the lens is missing in your photos!

We had one of those in the closet and boxes of negatives and prints that were taken with the camera. One summer about 30 years ago I cleaned and archived all the negatives and those and the camera are in a box in a garage.

ETA: Found the manual so I found my explanation but I do have another question that is not explained in the manual. How far do you pull out the bellows and lens? Mine seem like it can pull all the way out?
you pull the lens/shutter out until it clicks in place. On cameras if this age (I don't particularly know Kodaks) there is a lever on the base board near the lens to focus - you need to guess the distance to your subject and set the lever to that difference. It is not a precise system.

The smaller Pocket Kodak I noticed is missing the front lens but the larger one does have it. The pocket Kodak snaps when pulled out but the larger one can be pulled quite a bit.

What have you've done with the cameras, since this posting? I was just wandering.

Most reactions

Back