N80 vs. D40

daluke09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I just started looking into buying an SLR/DSLR camera and I had a friend of mine offer to let me barrow her Nikon N80 to see if I enjoyed photography. I have taken a few photos with it and love photgraphing although I have yet to get any good shots.:lol: (I'm very green at photography!)

I talked to my friend today and she said that if I liked using the camera that she would be willing to sell it to me. I asked her how much and she basically told me to make an offer. On the other hand I came across a Nikon D40 kit for $470 and was thinking about buying that instead. My question is, which one would you buy and why? Is it worth the extra money to go with a digital?

Also how much is a decent offer for her N80? I want to get a good deal but I'm not going to rip her off!

Thanks everyone for the advice and I hope to be posting pictures soon enough.

What would she give you if you bought it from her? What lenses, etc.

What lens does the d40 come with in the kit.

n80s are 219.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800574964-USE/Nikon_9878_N80_Camera_with_28_80mm.html

N80 looks like a pretty decent Film camera. Film would get you to take your time. If I took the same amount of pictures with a film camera as I did my DSLR i'd probably spend around 1300 bucks a month and that would be 3.99 per roll Kodak film probably.

Than again That's also a benefit of Digital...not spending money on film.

i have a film SLR and i feel so restricted on the amount of pictures i take, that i ahrdly take any.

i would reccomend going digital and getting the D40. Film, to be anyway seems to be only for special occasions

Sorry for the delay in the response. The N80 comes with the standard lens. (I think 28-80mm) I know she has other lens but I do not know what is going ot be sold. I will talk to her tomorrow and update accordingly. Thanks again for the help.

I gotta get going. Lets see what others say. I'm thinking about getting a good film camera once I have my arsenal built up all the way.

If you got what she has for lets say 300 bucks I assume that'd be a good deal. I don't know the lens specifics. F/3.5, 1.0, 2.0, etc.

Honestly.. I am very green to photography as well and I just purchased the Nikon D40 kit and I've been able to do amazing things with it. Keep in mind I'm a total novice but from my eyes the pictures look great! I beleive its much better than a film SLR, I currently use a 4gb card and can fit roughly 2100 pictures on it.

I'd like to hear other's opinions on the D40, if you guys got any!

D40 is a great camera. I highly recommend it to beginners. I wouldn't bother with the n80.

Hello all. I just started looking into buying an SLR/DSLR camera and I had a friend of mine offer to let me barrow her Nikon N80 to see if I enjoyed photography. I have taken a few photos with it and love photgraphing although I have yet to get any good shots.:lol: (I'm very green at photography!)

I talked to my friend today and she said that if I liked using the camera that she would be willing to sell it to me. I asked her how much and she basically told me to make an offer. On the other hand I came across a Nikon D40 kit for $470 and was thinking about buying that instead. My question is, which one would you buy and why? Is it worth the extra money to go with a digital?

Also how much is a decent offer for her N80? I want to get a good deal but I'm not going to rip her off!

Thanks everyone for the advice and I hope to be posting pictures soon enough.
I have an N80 in mint condition. I purchased it new in 2000 for somewhere around US$350 (body only, no lens). I would sell it now for $75 in a heartbeat.

Yeah I would buy that son, I got mine mint with box for 80.00 about 3 months back and love it.. Let me post a pick I took.

89530024.jpg

This year is 2008, roughly almost 180 years since the first film photography appeared into the world scene. Time moves on regardless of what we think. I don't think the parent of my great grandparent were even born yet when the first film photography was born.

The most number of film in a roll is 36. That is the number of shots you can generate before you have to open that box and fill it in with another roll. After that you have to send those rolls to the developer - than you wait.

You pay for the films and you pay for the processing. With digital you pay neither - understand?

Thinking is the hardest thing in life for the many. But this time I ask you to think, and think hard about it. Because once you part the money for 2nd hand goods, that is real sayonaras.

I can load new film in a few seconds, Fuji film is 4.50 for 5 rolls at walmart and processing is cheap through snap fish and easy.

I can load new film in a few seconds, Fuji film is 4.50 for 5 rolls at walmart and processing is cheap through snap fish and easy.

I began to think digital when Kodachrome was no longer available. I got serious when I realized that R&D for film-based photography had come to a grinding halt. I bought my digital SLR when I discovered that Nikon has only ONE film camera in its arsenal and it was designed years ago.

I can give reasons why I prefer film but the reality is that it is slowly disappearing into the sunset.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back