gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I visited Naples Pier to capture some sunset photographs. It was a nice sunset. About 20 minutes after the sun went down, I packed my gear and started to leave. I decided to walk onto the pier to see if there might be some other photo possibilities for the next day. To my surprise, the pier was suddenly illuminated--and in my opinion that made for a much more interesting picture!

So, I returned the next night. The problem is that the pier isn't lit until the sky is very dark. I also wanted the pier lit early than that. My approach to solving this problem was to set up the tripod for sunset...and leave it there until the pier illuminated without moving anything. Later, in post processing, I blended the two images so that I could light the pier up myself!

Given that I had just one night to pull this off, as soon as I captured the lit pier from the beach I ran up onto the pier to get the second shot. That shot was very challenging because this pier is always very crowded. Not only are people in the frame, but when they walk by on the wooden pier if shakes the camera.

p3260315896-5.jpg

p3260315897-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Lovely stuff. You have a gift.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well you fooled me, I was expecting Naples, Italy..

I really like the 2nd shot. I've always liked (and try to create) images that have a lot of depth and draw you in. Yours did just that for me.

Lovely stuff. You have a gift.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thank you...much appreciated.
Well you fooled me, I was expecting Naples, Italy..

I really like the 2nd shot. I've always liked (and try to create) images that have a lot of depth and draw you in. Yours did just that for me.
Thank you. I probably should have specified Florida! I tend to shoot a lot of vanishing point, almost to a fault.

Glenn

Fabulous as always and exactly as i remeber it. Medical problems prevented it this year, but we usually spend a couple months in Fl during the winter. Two years ago we spent a couple weeks in Naples, as we meandered around the state. It is IMO one of the most beautiful cities in FL. So clean and well maintained. I don't think a leaf fell on the medians without someone immediately there to pick it up. It exudes old money. Did you get a chance to walk around the downtown or Tin City? Marco Island is also beautiful with immaculate beaches.

Glenn- As a resident of Naples who has visited the pier many times, I find your pier photographs beautiful and quite interesting. If you would be willing to sell an 8x10ish print of each to me, please send me a message. Very nice work.

I visited Naples Pier to capture some sunset photographs. It was a nice sunset. About 20 minutes after the sun went down, I packed my gear and started to leave. I decided to walk onto the pier to see if there might be some other photo possibilities for the next day. To my surprise, the pier was suddenly illuminated--and in my opinion that made for a much more interesting picture!

So, I returned the next night. The problem is that the pier isn't lit until the sky is very dark. I also wanted the pier lit early than that. My approach to solving this problem was to set up the tripod for sunset...and leave it there until the pier illuminated without moving anything. Later, in post processing, I blended the two images so that I could light the pier up myself!

Given that I had just one night to pull this off, as soon as I captured the lit pier from the beach I ran up onto the pier to get the second shot. That shot was very challenging because this pier is always very crowded. Not only are people in the frame, but when they walk by on the wooden pier if shakes the camera.

p3260315896-5.jpg

p3260315897-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn
Beautiful set of images. I loved it. #Last one is awesome.

Like them both, the second one draws me more, nice work...

Fabulous as always and exactly as i remember it. Medical problems prevented it this year, but we usually spend a couple months in Fl during the winter. Two years ago we spent a couple weeks in Naples, as we meandered around the state. It is IMO one of the most beautiful cities in FL. So clean and well maintained. I don't think a leaf fell on the medians without someone immediately there to pick it up. It exudes old money. Did you get a chance to walk around the downtown or Tin City? Marco Island is also beautiful with immaculate beaches.
Thanks...I couldn't agree more about the beauty of Naples. After traveling through much of Florida, I was very impressed with Naples.

I only walked around downtown for a short time while looking for a place for dinner. I did not see Tin City. I did visit Marco Island, but mostly to see the burrowing owls.
As stapo49 said, you have a great talent and an artistic eye.
Thanks again, Dean
Two very nice shots....
Thank you, Jeff
Glenn- As a resident of Naples who has visited the pier many times, I find your pier photographs beautiful and quite interesting. If you would be willing to sell an 8x10ish print of each to me, please send me a message. Very nice work.
Thanks...that's a high compliment coming from a Naples resident! I will send you a PM.
Beautiful set of images. I loved it. #Last one is awesome.
Thank you!
Like them both, the second one draws me more, nice work...
Thanks!

Glenn

I only walked around downtown for a short time while looking for a place for dinner. I did not see Tin City. I did visit Marco Island, but mostly to see the burrowing owls.

You missed some places to see. The downtown has that "old money" appeal, Tin City is about as far out eclectic as you can get. Lots of great places to eat in both. Shelling on the far north end of the Marco Island public beach is excellent. We've found numerous Conch shells bigger then your hand, but it's a hike to get there, and short people beware taking the short cut. It's a long way if you walk around the inlet, we followed some others taking a short cut across the inlet. For me it was just below the waist, but for DW it was considerably higher. LOL

You missed some places to see. The downtown has that "old money" appeal, Tin City is about as far out eclectic as you can get. Lots of great places to eat in both. Shelling on the far north end of the Marco Island public beach is excellent. We've found numerous Conch shells bigger then your hand, but it's a hike to get there, and short people beware taking the short cut. It's a long way if you walk around the inlet, we followed some others taking a short cut across the inlet. For me it was just below the waist, but for DW it was considerably higher. LOL
One disadvantage about covering so much ground on my road trips is that I always miss certain things to see. The plus side is that I get to photograph some great subjects nearly every day that I'm on the road. I only spent two nights in Naples...arrived in the afternoon one day, spent the whole next day...and then left the following morning. Much of that time was spent photographing the Ave Maria Church...two sessions at the Naples Pier...and a trip to Marco Island.

Glenn

I like the back story on how the lit pier shot came to be realized. The work of vision, planning and execution is evident in the wonderful result!

I like the back story on how the lit pier shot came to be realized. The work of vision, planning and execution is evident in the wonderful result!
Thanks very much...it worked out this time. Sometimes, conditions during the return trip (i.e., rain, overcast sky) can make it impossible to recreate anything close to the original vision.

Glenn

Most reactions

New Topics

Back