Narrowing down camera choices.....

grant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning on buying an entry level used SLR digital camera. This is pretty much for hobby. I'm a student getting into film/video production, so thats more of my area of knowledge and learning. However I want to get a digital camera and by knowing so much about exposure, focus, etc I just can't bring myself to get a point and shoot.

My budget is $300 - $500. But I'm hoping not to go too much over $400. The camera's I'm looking at are:

1) Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (leaning towards this one)
2) Nikon d40

It looks like I could get both for around $400 used on ebay, either buying just body then a lens or both together. Figured that I just get one lens to play around with for now and add on more during the summer as I learn more about the camera and what I want from it.

Is there any other advice or camera suggestions other than these two?

Those are both great entry level DSLR's, but I would check your local Craigslist before buying on Ebay if you're going the used route. That way you can see the camera in person and give it a thorough check before you purchase. I've seen D40 kits in my area sell for $300-400 lightly used with kit lens and memory card.

Both cameras are great! You really can't go wrong with either. Although I'm with you leaning towards the Canon system (don't listen to the people telling you to save up for an XSi or some crap like that), keep in mind that you MIGHT be able to find a NEW camera for $400. Like here's a refurb. But it has warranty I believe. And you'll know where it was last...lol.

0206B011 Canon " Refurbished " Chrome Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera Body Kit with EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

25420B Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera 3X Zoom Kit Outfit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

Before you buy a D40, look into available lenses and lens prices. The AF-S limits you on lens choices.

I would go for the canon. The d40 is very limited in my opinion

I'd recommend the Canon XT over the Nikon D40 too. I think it's a better value and a better camera overall.

Looks like I'll be going Canon.

One question is whats the difference between the Rebel XS, XSi, XT, XTi.

They are all sort of in the same ballpark price wise. Are the XS and XT just upgrades?

Which one should I probably look for?

Also, if i just get the body does anyone have any recommendations for a decent lens to start me off?

Before you buy a D40, look into available lenses and lens prices. The AF-S limits you on lens choices.

Yeah, you'd think they'd have redesigned the 50mm 1.8 to work with their most popular DSLR... :-(

They have, it's a 50mm f/1.4 though, otherwise the affordable 35mm f/1.8 :)

Yeah, you'd think they'd have redesigned the 50mm 1.8 to work with their most popular DSLR... :-(

They have, it's a 50mm f/1.4 though, otherwise the affordable 35mm f/1.8 :)

Yeah, but both of those are almost three times as much.

I think the whole focusing motor in the lens is a horrible idea... I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks that.

I used to lean towards Nikon, but whenever I add up all the things I want in my camera, and see who has the better offer, Nikon is never on the map. :-(

I think the whole focusing motor in the lens is a horrible idea... I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks that.

I used to lean towards Nikon, but whenever I add up all the things I want in my camera, and see who has the better offer, Nikon is never on the map. :-(

The 35mm is $199 brand new and the 50mm f/1.8 is $139 brand new if you're lucky.

Why is the focusing motor in the lens a bad idea? Not sure what you shoot but aren't all Canon's in the lens also? It's quieter and faster with it in the lens, I love it!

One question is whats the difference between the Rebel XS, XSi, XT, XTi.

They are all sort of in the same ballpark price wise. Are the XS and XT just upgrades?
They are all entry level DSLRs. The XT and XTi are older models and are out of production. The XTi was an upgrade of the XT.

The XS and XSi are currently in production with the XSi being the more feature rich of the two. The T1i was recently released and is now the premiere entry level Canon DSLR.

The XT and XTi used Compact Flash memory cards. The XS, XSi and T1i use SD memory cards.
Which one should I probably look for?
Depends on how much you want to spend. With a budget of $500 you probably will have to look at a used XT, XTi, XS and maybe XSi.
Also, if i just get the body does anyone have any recommendations for a decent lens to start me off?
Would the lens be included in the $500 budget?

The 35mm is $199 brand new and the 50mm f/1.8 is $139 brand new if you're lucky.

Why is the focusing motor in the lens a bad idea? Not sure what you shoot but aren't all Canon's in the lens also? It's quieter and faster with it in the lens, I love it!

I just don't like it when the switch stuff up. Why would you make a camera that doesn't support autofocus with some of your lenses?

Canon is smart, and hasn't changed their setup in a long time. You can still put on a lens from 15 years ago, and although it won't be IS or anything, it will still work like its supposed to.

I realize that this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that (if your $500 budget is for body alone) you should look at a used Canon EOS 30D or the Nikon equivalent. You say you already know a lot about exposure controls etc. and I just can't help but think you may be disappointed by the entry-level models commitment to making full-manual shooting mode a huge pain. I shot with a digital rebel model for about two years and just this past weekend bought a 40D. It immediately made shooting more fun because it feels much nicer in my big hands and it makes shooting in full manual much more reasonable with dedicated controls for aperture and shutter speed. On my rebel, you had to find and hold a button while turning the shutter speed control in order to change the aperture.

A used 30D can be had for $300-400 USD on craigslist and I think that is an option you should at least look at. Try holding each of the cameras you are considering in the store and take a few test shots, or at least use the controls while in a mock-shooting position. That should tell you what you really want from your camera.

......I think the whole focusing motor in the lens is a horrible idea... I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks that.
.........Why would you make a camera that doesn't support autofocus with some of your lenses?....
To make it compact.......And, not all Nikon lenses autofocus.

Here's a research question for you Baaaaark...

How many Canon lenses have a focus motor in them? .........

I'll save you the work.

The EF in the EF mount used by Canon stands for 'Electro-Focus'. Canon cameras don't have any mechanical linkages between their lenses and camera bodies.
Since the introduction of the EF mount all Canon lenses that can AF have a motor in the lens.......

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back