Narrowing down camera choices.....

I realize that this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that (if your $500 budget is for body alone) you should look at a used Canon EOS 30D or the Nikon equivalent. You say you already know a lot about exposure controls etc. and I just can't help but think you may be disappointed by the entry-level models commitment to making full-manual shooting mode a huge pain. I shot with a digital rebel model for about two years and just this past weekend bought a 40D. It immediately made shooting more fun because it feels much nicer in my big hands and it makes shooting in full manual much more reasonable with dedicated controls for aperture and shutter speed. On my rebel, you had to find and hold a button while turning the shutter speed control in order to change the aperture.

A used 30D can be had for $300-400 USD on craigslist and I think that is an option you should at least look at. Try holding each of the cameras you are considering in the store and take a few test shots, or at least use the controls while in a mock-shooting position. That should tell you what you really want from your camera.

Thanks.

Ya manual is a big thing. I almost look at this as helping more with film/video production work through learning more about lenses, composition, shutter speed, and other technical things. I however was trying to balance that out budget wise cause I didn't want to spend an incredible amount of money on it. If I start spending closer to $1000 then I might as well use that money for a video camera instead (the SLR was kinda supposed to be like a substitute for it for now to keep me practicing with something until I get enough money for decent video eq)

I was also trying to keep the whole set up (body and one lens) under $500. Unless its completely worth it for some reason to spend another $100 or so.

I notice you are in Boston, check out classifieds - craigslist
Two listings on the 6th for 30D+kit lens, $400 and $500. Those lenses will leave something to be desired, but any $500 kit will... If either of those is in decent condition (sounds like they might be) and still available then I would think it might be a good option for you to think about.

Good luck. Happy shooting.

I notice you are in Boston, check out classifieds - craigslist
Two listings on the 6th for 30D+kit lens, $400 and $500. Those lenses will leave something to be desired, but any $500 kit will... If either of those is in decent condition (sounds like they might be) and still available then I would think it might be a good option for you to think about.

Good luck. Happy shooting.

Thanks. I actually saw those a few hours ago and shot them emails. After looking at the 30D I might try to go with that instead if I'm able to get it cheap enough.

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I picked a good forum to begin learning this stuff.

......I think the whole focusing motor in the lens is a horrible idea... I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks that.
.........Why would you make a camera that doesn't support autofocus with some of your lenses?....
To make it compact.......And, not all Nikon lenses autofocus.

Here's a research question for you Baaaaark...

How many Canon lenses have a focus motor in them? .........

I'll save you the work.

The EF in the EF mount used by Canon stands for 'Electro-Focus'. Canon cameras don't have any mechanical linkages between their lenses and camera bodies.
Since the introduction of the EF mount all Canon lenses that can AF have a motor in the lens.......

I am well aware of how the Canon system works. I just think its stupid to only have some of their lenses have AF motors in them, some not, and furthermore to have only some of their cameras be compatible for autofocus with some of their lenses. That's stupid. Either have ALL of your AF motors in lens and put none in the camera bodies, or all in the bodies and none in the lens.

My point was that if you're going to have a system, have it be all one way or another. This teetering on the line crap sucks, and is why Nikon's entry-level product is inferior. Cause its not the same as their other stuff.

And don't get me started on how the D40 doesn't support CLS.

Most reactions

Back