Natural Light Portraiture - My People Photography Evolving Slightly

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't do people photography very often as I pretty much suck at it, but here are a couple I thought turned out alright (and I only charged them $400 +sitting fees, because I have a Canon 1000D and am now able to take professional photos):

#1 - I got this pose and look by telling him I slept with his wife. This is his "I don't have a wife and what the hell are you talking about" look.

6588135863_0f3a7c6479_b.jpg

#2 - My buddy is "a little rounder" and so I tried the "tongue-to-top-of-mouth and push face forward" technique to eliminate the multiple chins

6588133053_9eef75a800_b.jpg

The next two photos are of my buddy and his son. Nothing spectacular but they are what they are. And as always, I gave them the AgentDrex guarantee: You will be satisfied with what I take.........or else.....now pay up and get out of my office...

Seriously...I'm not good enough to charge for my photos...but I do take free-will offerings, which with some of my friends ends up being green in color...wink...wink...nudge...nudge...

6588133559_55ef894cbb_b.jpg

6588135417_971e4fd5ac_b.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to include my new self-portrait which shows I'm growing both my mustache and beard as well as my hair:

6588131957_256b9e94f9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Love the glowing orange head effects!

'Drex... long time no see! Nice work.

Thank you tirediron, I didn't mean to be gone so long. I just haven't been taking many photos. I guess I could just come to comment and critique. Thanks for having me back everyone!

I was using the golden side of my new 5-1 reflector (you can see it propped up against a tree in the photo of my buddy taking a photo of his son. Its what is giving the golden glow against the fence. I have other sides to use yet. Kind of exciting!

The golden color on my portrait is from the shop-light I was using. I used the diffuser section of that 5-1 reflector ( http://www.neewer.com/32-80cm-5-in-1-collapsible-multi-disc-light-reflector.html ) in between the light and me.

Last edited:
Yellow jaundice has set in and I'm due to die at any moment. I don't know why I like yellowish photos...

The main issue I see with the photos is that I think your white balance just exploded. It's all over the place. :(

The lighting in portrait 1 is a bit harsh, and the color is unflattering, because it makes him look red and sweaty.

The second one is better, but the hot spots from the blinds are a bit distracting.

The composition in 3 seems a little off. It seems like the kid and the photographer are too far towards the top of the frame. It feels like it should be opposite, since there is nothing in the foreground near the bottom that adds to the photo.

I like the last one the best. It has a vintage feel, like it was an editorial photo for a story. The lighting just works for this one, because the child is properly exposed, and it defines the background a bit, but it also causes a little of of darkness around the edges that frames the child.

Thank you for your insight rexbobcat...very appreciated sir!

@ph0enix: yeah, blatant-self-bumping...I'm a horrible person ;) , I probably need to be stuck in a pillory

@jowensphoto: thank you much!

Most reactions

Back