ND filter systems

Scuba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am wanting to get ND filters, but I use an ultra wide angle lens the Canon 17-40mm on the 5D. I am wanting the ability to significantly decrease my shutter speed to be able to completely blur water. I want to be able to use my CPL as well as a ND and possibly a GND as well. From what I can find stacking filters will cause either significant vignette or the filter housing will be visible at 17mm and possibly as high as 24mm. So I am looking at the holder systems such as the Cokin and the Lee. I would rather go for quality. I spend good money on my lenses so I don't really want to put something of inferior quality in front of it. I am leaning towards the Lee and the big stopper. I have several hundred dollars in my photo account so money wise I am willing to spend for good quality. My concern with Cokin is color cast and also resolution. I have a b&w MRC CPL currently that I would like to be able to use with whatever I buy.

Does anyone have experience with stacking filters on the 17-40mm lens? Experience with the Lee and/or Cokin systems either in general or on the 17-40? Any other input? Can I use my current CPL with either kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 11-16mm Tokina, and I usually shoot at 11mm. I've easily shot at 11mm(16.5FX equiv.) with a big stopper and 2 GND's. I use the "wide-angle" adapter for the lee holder and have never had a problem. The only time I get vignetting is when I have the holder rotated about 45 degrees to either side. However, if I add my 77mm CPL on before the wide angle adapter and holder, I get vignetting up to about 15mm. Feel free to see that thread linked in the above post for some more info.

Cheers!
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read through that link. I had come across it before but made sure I hadn't missed anything.

D-B-J so are you saying you get vignetting with your CPL and one filter or with the CPL and 3 filters? I really appreciate your input so far. I have been trying to find answers specific to the 17-40 and had some trouble.

I only get vignetting with the CPL AND filter holder. However, they make square polarizers in the 100mm size and a circular one that attaches on the front. Personally, I've never needed a CPL with my filters, as I often shoot so wide that I can't use one. With wide angle lenses, a CPL will cause banding in the sky. Do a quick google for "polarizers and wide angle" and you'll see examples. I also don't like having to attach the lee mounting ring to my CPL, as it often becomes tough to remove. I just use the system with a wide angle adapter and 3 filters with no problem. And I am SO HAPPY to have invested in it. Is the 5D you have a FX body? I'm not familiar with Canon.

Yes the 5D is a FX sensor. It is similar to the D700. I use my CPL at 17mm and it you aren't careful yeah the banding can occur. I have taken plenty of shots however without issue. I was thinking mounting the ring to the CPL may not be very easy to use. How severe of vignetting with both on and what focal length?

Yes the 5D is a FX sensor. It is similar to the D700. I use my CPL at 17mm and it you aren't careful yeah the banding can occur. I have taken plenty of shots however without issue. I was thinking mounting the ring to the CPL may not be very easy to use. How severe of vignetting with both on and what focal length?

At 11mm I get pretty hefty vignetting. I'll do this. When I get home I'll take some pictures with different setups and post the results so you can see.

Cheers!
Jake

Sorry I totally forgot you said you were shooting with the 11-16. Those examples would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

Sorry I totally forgot you said you were shooting with the 11-16. Those examples would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

But on a crop sensor.

See my linked to thread.. I added pictures of the filters and a bunch of pictures of types of vignetting.

Cheers!
Jake

With wide angle B+W (etc) make specific CPL filters for Wide Angle lenses that are "slim". They basically are really thin by comparison to keep the filter as close as possible to the lens to not interfere with the wide angle view. such as:
B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Slim MRC Filter 66-026598 B&H Photo

I haven't used my 77 thin CPL on my 18-35 Wide angle on my FF d600 yet .. just mostly ND filters. The CPL I've used always for sports and bright days so far.
but I used one on my d7000 (crop sensor) in the past and I don't recall any vignetting, but then the crop camera "crops" the image anyways.

So for CPL wide angle you want multi-coated and thin CPLs .. and the really good brands to minimize banding.

I'm only now learning about ND filters and all those effects. I learned alot about what you can do with ND filters from this thread
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...d-filters-anyone-have-various-nds-photos.html

I like the screw on ND and CPL. filters. Much easier to setup and transport.

I have a 10 stop B+W ND filter that was expensive but has very good optical quality.

I like the screw on ND and CPL. filters. Much easier to setup and transport.

I have a 10 stop B+W ND filter that was expensive but has very good optical quality.

I looked into that but on the lens I use the most my 17-40mm two filters vignette pretty bad. Then I looked into getting a 82mm, 77mm adaptor, and 10 stop and it was $200+ so for a little bit more I can get a holder and 10 stop that is more versatile.

Ok since these filters are not cheap as everyone knows. I am looking to get a grad ND along with the big stopper. What do you find more useful? Hard or soft? 2 or 3 stop? I see in the write up D-B-J your opinion is soft but didn't see which density you thought was most useful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back