What's new

ND Filters

AdamIsMyName

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 4, 2011
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to get some ND filters. I see there are some that thread onto the lens and then there are some that are a square plate that is held in place with some other component.

What is the difference between the two?

I want one for creating very smooth water so ND10?
 
The square ones are designed so that you can adjust their position. This is useful for graduated NDs so you can line up the transition with your horizon. If you just want 10 stops across the frame, the screw on ones are easier. I use a B+W 110 10 stop ND, 77mm diameter. 77 is my largest lens, and then I have step up rings from 58, 67, and 72, so I can attach it to all my lenses.
 
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I have a Tiffen ND .9 circular which works rather well for waterfalls and "moving" water images.
 
All my ND's are square/rectangular be it standard ND's or my hard and soft graduated ND's I prefer having one system to mess with. I have the necessary filter holder mount rings, a holder and filters. Saves me from having various step rings as well to fit my various lenses for a round ND. I also find it quicker and easier to stack ND's s needed to get the density I want. Just my take on the whole matter.
 
Yeah, I was gearing towards a B+W ND10 but since looking more into it I would like the flexility of the square/rectangluar set up for using graduated filters and stacking them. Or maybe both??

When you use the plates are you able to keep your lens UV filter screwed on to keep dust and whatnot off your lens or is it not really an issue?

Also any recommendations for the square/rectangular plate set up? - expensive vs. inexpensive ones, and what is that fixture that holds the plates called?
 
It's generally best practice to use the fewest possible filters to accomplish what you want in a given situation. The more you stack, the higher the probably of flare, reduced contrast, and vignetting. So, by that logic, my UV's get removed if I'm using any other filter. They also get removed if I see them flaring, or if I'm shooting in a situation where I expect they might flare.
 
Yeah, I was gearing towards a B+W ND10 but since looking more into it I would like the flexility of the square/rectangluar set up for using graduated filters and stacking them. Or maybe both??

When you use the plates are you able to keep your lens UV filter screwed on to keep dust and whatnot off your lens or is it not really an issue?

Also any recommendations for the square/rectangular plate set up? - expensive vs. inexpensive ones, and what is that fixture that holds the plates called?

Not an issue. I don't and never have use UV filters on a lens unless there is a call for it so it is not an issue.
 
Yeah, I was gearing towards a B+W ND10 but since looking more into it I would like the flexility of the square/rectangluar set up for using graduated filters and stacking them. Or maybe both??

When you use the plates are you able to keep your lens UV filter screwed on to keep dust and whatnot off your lens or is it not really an issue?

Also any recommendations for the square/rectangular plate set up? - expensive vs. inexpensive ones, and what is that fixture that holds the plates called?

Not an issue. I don't and never have use UV filters on a lens unless there is a call for it so it is not an issue.

It's not an issue for someone who doesn't use UV filters, but the OP is not one of those people.
 
Yeah, I was gearing towards a B+W ND10 but since looking more into it I would like the flexility of the square/rectangluar set up for using graduated filters and stacking them. Or maybe both??

When you use the plates are you able to keep your lens UV filter screwed on to keep dust and whatnot off your lens or is it not really an issue?

Also any recommendations for the square/rectangular plate set up? - expensive vs. inexpensive ones, and what is that fixture that holds the plates called?

Not an issue. I don't and never have use UV filters on a lens unless there is a call for it so it is not an issue.

It's not an issue for someone who doesn't use UV filters, but the OP is not one of those people.

They screw on, they screw off. It works that way. If you understand how that part works you can understand how it is NOT AN ISSUE.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom