Need a new camera

Cades83898

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been taking pics for a long time. I loved my russian Zenit 35mm that was built in 1975 and my digital Kodak DX6340 was good for starting out in digital photos. However, now I want to step up and regain some of the manual controls I lost when I switched from the Zenit to the Kodak. No, I can't go back to the Zenit as the light meter no longer works and I need something digital. So, I need advice on a new camera. It will be for play and work. I like to take architecture, landscape, and wildlife photos. I am also launching a new website (www.reefallure.com) were I'll be selling live corals so I need manual focus and good macro capability with a wide depth of field so I can get all of the organism in focus. This is what I want:

BIG ZOOM
good macro
Manual focus (for taking pics of things inside aquariums)
Manual f-stop for control over my depth of field
Option for additional lenses
High quality pics

These are the cameras I'm looking at so far:
Canon Powershot S3 IS
Sony DSC-H2 or H5
Kodak P712
Kodak P880

Any advice or recomendations or other suggestions would be highly valued by me!
Thanks

Oh yea, I like to travel and not look like too much of a tourist, so I really want something I can stash in a small bag, breifcase etc. I really don't want to carry around a bulky DSLR and a bunch of different lenses for different shots (tele, macro etc.). I guess I'm looking to get as close to a DSLR without actually getting a DSLR. Plus, my father has a EOS 20D I can borrow and I can't afford to purchase one myself. (Note: I don't really want to borrow my dad's expensive camera)

Most reactions

Back