Oh...hey...THANKS for the Best Buy information! Best Buy is actually one of Americas' larger Nikon retailers,and I am very glad to hear it is marked as either discontinued or end of life in their system because, well, I suspect the 700s will be announced within six months, and I expect the price to be the same as the D700. Like with the D3s and D3, Nikon dealers have been "eating" the several hundred dollars higher D3s price; due to this lousy economy and the Dollar-Yen exchange rate, Nikon has been forcing dealers to take lower and lower margins, so the D3s, although the MSRP is over $5k, is sold for $4995 because that price point is more-palatable than $5300.
Thom Hogan's front page today,Dec 29, has some startling new information on camera sales from Japan; only one FX camera is in the top 20 sellers, the Canon 5D Mark II,and video-equipped d-slrs are NOT selling all that well for any of the makers. Since FX is such a poor seller in Japan ($2799 in Japan or the USA, is a lot of coin for a camera to 'most people'), possibly Best Buy discontinuing the D700 is just a way to conserve cash,and devote it to much lower-cost inventory, like SB600 flashes and D60 bodies and D3000 kits and so on.
Hogan's D700 review is here
Nikon D700 Review by Thom Hogan
and keep in mind that his emphasis is nature/landscape/outdoors and NOT people work. I feel that nature/landscape shooters emphasize that DX cameras are still fine, because they need all the "reach" they can get,and smaller sensors give that. I feel that for events and people images, FX is the superior format, based on the lenses that actually exist, now,today. With Nikon, the best course is to buy their new model when it comes out,and use it until the next one is announced.