Need Advice: Newbie Looking for a Camera

dcllee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know little to nothing about photography, but I am looking to buy a camera for a friend, who has 1-2 years of experience. What brand, model, should I be looking for? Used or New? My price range is between 50-150 dollars. Also, any suggestion on where to buy it from?

Thanks for the help!

i would suggest u give the person the 150 to save up for a better cam or go with an nikon n55 thats what i use during hs and it costed me 180 refurbed... u may get a decent 15 year old cam for 150 but nothing wonderful... just so i dont get ur hopes down someone may know more than me but thats my opinion for ya

You need to give a clearer picture.

-Why do you want to gift him/her a camera?
-Is the gift for a friend who is in the field of photography?
-What kind of cameras does he/she have now? Is it the small pocket sized camera, or a the chunky camera with lens attached?
-What is it that you are looking for? Digital camera or the film camera?
-You might be interested in this link - http://reviews.cnet.com/4502-6501_7...36id=&501375id=&501071id=&501936id=&500409id=

If he/she already has a SLR (chunky camera with lens attached) chances are very slim that he/she would like a $150 camera. This is not to put you down.

Personally, I think someone can get a lot out something like a Mamiya 1000 DTL or similar M42 mount camera. Manual everything, nothing fancy, but does everything you need. You can get a used one with a 50mm lens for less than $50 on eBay, and then spend the rest on a 35mm lens and a 200mm lens if you want to round things out.

I agree with Mark. Those Mamiya's are cool, and if your friend is acquainted with various manufacturers, he/she will probably be impressed with the Mamiya name. They are pretty well respected in serious photo circles.

Look around eBay, as there are usually pretty good older cameras in your price range, like the Canon AE-1.

drlynn said:
Look around eBay, as there are usually pretty good older cameras in your price range, like the Canon AE-1.
i believe i have an old canon cam like that not sure the model number but its a range finder but it takes pics even though the meters broke and u cant get the right kinda batts ne more....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back