Need advice on Zoom lense

passerby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone this is my first post I need your valuable inputs.

I just bought Nikon D40 a week ago after barely bought the Coolpix L10 3 weeks before then. I was impressed with the L10 produced pictures (family shots) than I decided to go SLR. After a lot of reading I decided D40 with it's 18-55mm lens. It is cheap starter for beginners I think.

Up to now I am happy with the results. But in the same time I am still reading mags and on the net for other cameras and zoom lenses - mostly lenses. I feel like to have a bit more reach than the 55mm, but with better quality not less. I am inclined to Nikkor 18-70, Nikkor 18-135, Nikkor 18-200 VR and Sigma 18-200 OS.

The problem was - these reviewers on the internet after praising each of these lenses, than end it with the word BUT.

18-70 is good, but---
18-200 is good, but---
Sigma is good, but---

It confusing you know. I like to buy the next zoom lense that I will cuddle in my bed - so to speak. So I believe here is hopefully the right place to hear direct user. I do photography only for hobby.

Thanks ahead of any input.

There's no such thing as a perfect lens so there's always going to be a "BUT" attached to something. You just have to find a lens that excels where you need it to and only has "BUT's" where you don't care. I personally have an 18-135 and love it. My results with it on my D40 were good enough that I convinced two other friends to buy them too. We all got them used for around $200.

I checked on the net for the reviews of this 18-135 and all voiced the same view that this zoom lens is the sharpest of the 4 nikkors. Albeit it has some distortion all the way from 18 to 135mm and a bit of chromatic aberation (according to the them!).

I need to go to the store to feel it and see it myself. But I think the professional reviewer's point of views only concern it on commercial basis, and for me it is just hobby.

I have browsed lots and lots of pictures taken by this zoom and they look so good to me.

Thanks for your input.

Hi and welcome! :D

I have just boguht my first SLR as well... the Nikkon D40X and I wanted to get a zoom lens so I looked around and I now have the 55-200mm It's a brilliant lens and cheap for beginners with a low budget! If memory serves me well, it has some good online reviews as well!:thumbup:

Hi and welcome! :D

I have just boguht my first SLR as well... the Nikkon D40X and I wanted to get a zoom lens so I looked around and I now have the 55-200mm It's a brilliant lens and cheap for beginners with a low budget! If memory serves me well, it has some good online reviews as well!:thumbup:

I like to see the photos if you don't mind that were taken by it from as many as different angles and natural lightings. As the rule of the game says, a picture is only good to those who loved it.

I checked on the net for the reviews of this 18-135 and all voiced the same view that this zoom lens is the sharpest of the 4 nikkors. Albeit it has some distortion all the way from 18 to 135mm and a bit of chromatic aberation (according to the them!).
I've never seen the CA myself, but it's not just "some" distortion, it's A LOT. About as bad as Nikon lenses get. But I used DxO software for post-processing which automatically corrects distortion among other things, so that was no big deal to me. If you're shooting landscape or architecture type photos and want straight and level looking things to remain straight and level, you'll either need to be careful about what focal lengths you use and try to shoot where there's less distortion, or just get software that'll correct it for you. For people shots and some other stuff it won't matter for the most part.

After long thought about this finally I think I have made up my mind about which lens I want to have. After comparing the prices, the quality and the versatility I think the Nikkor 18-200 is the one will suit me for the long run. It is very pricey though. The asking price from online store is $750 delivered. Hopefully I will start shooting by next weekend.

Many thanks to MAV and Eddie666 for the input. Please Eddie I am not coming here for the Armageddon - yet.

With this post I have conclude my visit here among newbies and I need to move up. So - see me around among the pros :D.

Alright I am only joking. Cheers.

Most reactions

Back