Need an L Bracket, my 1st...

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have D7000 since 2011, that if prices get right, I may upgrade.
My son got me the Nikon 200-500 a few yrs back and have clumsily been using a ball head.
Since I am spending summer at Grand Tetons, I want the right bracket for much more use of the lens. So I think it is an L Bracket/head I need?
Manfrotto 055 CF tripod is my only tripod. I don't think I need bigger but open to thoughts on that too.

...So I think it is an L Bracket/head I need?...
NO! An 'L' bracket is NOT what you need for this lens. Using an 'L' bracket will place all the weight of the lens on the mount, and especially when it's racket out to 500mm, will put a scary amount of torque on those mounts. Rather, as Designer suggests, go for a gimbal mount supporting the lens on the mounting foot, rather than the camera body.

While I generally hand-hold mine, I often use it at 500mm on my Manfrotto ball head with the tension increased just a bit. This allows it to move freely, but gives (for me) all the stability necessary.

Thank you Tirediron!
When using the ball head, I have left some tension eased up BUT keep the camera strap around my neck!
Just worry about weight on an unstable head. Am sure I look ridiculous to serious photographers....

There's nothing ridiculous about keeping expensive gear safe & secure! Look at the weight limit for your ball head and compare that to your body & lens; it might serve you just as well to simply upgrade to a better ball head.

When I bought the head, I tried to look at weight but I do feel this 'slips ' alittle in portrait position, so I am happy to buy correct item.

Last edited:
As others mentioned, it's best to use the lens foot. Don't know what ball head you have but, you could give this a try. I did before getting a gimbal. Go to about the 4 minute mark.

As others mentioned, it's best to use the lens foot. Don't know what ball head you have but, you could give this a try. I did before getting a gimbal. Go to about the 4 minute mark.

Thank you for taking the time to find that for me!
This Forum is always SO helpful!

Whenever possible you want to support the camera/lens combo at the balance point, especially a LONG heavy lens.
This makes it easier on the support, rather than trying to support a front heavy configuration.
Imagine holding your camera + 200-500 just holding on to the camera.
That is hard on the lens mount as well as the tripod head. And you may damage the tripod socket on the camera.
As for the head, "it depends." Some love ball heads, others hate them. Me, I have ball, pan and gimbal heads, because each has a feature that the other does not. So I use whichever head works best for a particular shoot. Example when I shot tennis, neither the ball nor pan head worked well, so I bought a gimbal head, which worked beautifully.

Depending on the ball head you own you could add a Wimberley Arca Sidekick which can give you gimbal action in a very small package.

Of course one should also consider Arca plates and clamps on the ball head and lens foot for secure fast mounting. Lots of options but do some research, buy once cry once is my motto.

Tripod is currently out in my car. I know I sound silly, but I think I have Arca type mounting on the ball head, because it is easy to move camera ,off.
Funny, someone linked a video recently on TPF about the Gimbal head and trying to use ball head as well. He guy mentions he has my same ball head and I was excited that on my own I had picked a good tripod head!!
Then, he says 'do not buy this...' Ugh.
When turning camer to portrait position, it catches on a 'misalignment ' that I have noticed. Thank you for the info and taking the time to help me.
I need it...

Most reactions

Back