need boom recomendations

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a boom but Im not finding anything in my price range. I use elinchrome dlite4 strobes, so not that heavy. Eventually I would like to get a huge softbox but right now im just using smaller softboxes.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I have two of the Manfrotto heavy-duty boom sets, with the 15.5 counterweigh and the wheeled, caster-based heavy stand. REALLY solid, excellent, even when used with all three boom arm sections and a 7-lb flash head on the end. I bought the first one brand new in 1986, and got the second one, fairly beat-up from a studio in 2001.

Manfrotto 085BS Heavy Duty Boom and Stand (Black) 085BS B&H

This also makes a really good "rolling light stand", using either a spigot on the top OR using it with just one section of boom arm, and no counterweight, with a 36 x48 inch softbox on the end of the arm.

I like this HEAVY-duty, high-capacity boom and stand also because it can make a background support arm as well, which is really handy.

$350 is way out of my budget for something like this. its basically a metal bar that can extend. :) I will spend the money where it affects image quality *cameras, lenses, filters* but Ill go cheap where it doesnt *triggers, batteries, etc*

My budget for this is $150 on the higher end. The more I search online for deals the more I am thinking I will just end up buying a metal bar at lowes and add a hook on one end and a spigot *that the right term for the part that attaches to a strobe?* As I was typing this I thought up a new idea, buy a light stand for $45 and take it apart so you just have the center extending pole with the spigot at the top already, just needs a hook, hm.

I often suspend one of these Speedotron 122157 Black Line 202VF/CC Light Units 850380 and an old $300 softbox. The flashtubes are $104 each.

A used $150 professional boom stand and arm is pretty much worth it. But hey, go cheap if you need to, for sure. If all you need is an "ARM", those can be had for less money, but keep in mind, it takes a good stand to make the whole thing stable. There are some lower-cost "arms" available, and you can make a counterweight out of whatever heavy stuff you have around. You want some kind of a friction-locking mechanism to hold the arm in position. I think there are some "economy boom kits" around. B&H Photo or Adorama or Calumet ought to have something.

I payed $249.99 for the new one I bought in 1986, so, lemme see...that's 28 years of service, and $249.95 divided by 28 means I spent $8.92 per year on it, with an estimated future life span of 30 more years....hmmm...which would bring it down to $4.30 per year. I hope I live that long.

Right now I am considering this one:

Manfrotto 420NSB Convertible Boom Stand - 12.8' (4m) 420NSB B&H

It does 10 pounds fully extended, 20 pounds otherwise.

If I had access to a studio going out of busienss sellign that cheap I would, but sadly *or is it?* not many of the studios around here probably know what a boom is. :D

Wescott boom from B&H.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back