Need buying advice

hassiman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am a longtime Nikon and Canon user. Owned many a film Nikon back in the day ( F - F2 - F3 ) and Canon P&S G cameras. In 2012 I had the misfortune of buying a new D600 which was one of the problem dustbins. :confused: Nikon refunded my money when I forced the issue long before the class action suit.

I am now back in the market and the D810 appears to be a very compelling product... but I am still a bit gun shy.

From what I have read Nikon has the camera body to beat in the D810... but from the lens tests I have seen it is Canon that has the better optics except for the Nikon 14-24.

I was just wondering what Nikon optics would measure up to the D810's incredible performance? I was interested in the 16-35mm N VR until I found that unlike its Canon counterpart both tests and users alike say it's expensive, heavy and not a stellar performer.

I REALLY like the idea of a sensor with 14+ stops of DR but which Nikon lenses should I get or should i wait until Canon steps up to the plate with a hi-res/hi-DR body?

As someone said that camera bodies come and go, but good glass lasts a lot longer!

I did try out the SONY A7 but it's not ready for prime time as of yet... but watch out. If SONY follows up the A7 will be the one to beat.

I use a 24-70, 70-200 and 85 1.4 on my D800 for studio work and see no issues whateer with the resolving power. With the exception of the 14-24, I think Canon & Nikon are very evenly matched in real-world glass (by which I mean, what you actually see, not 100% crop, pixel-peeping lens tests).

Agreed on the 24-70 & 70-200 & 85mm like the good man above..... or even my older versions.... love 'em all!!!

Taking pictures or pixel peeping?
The 24-70/2.8
70-200/2.8
300/2.8
85/1.8
And 105 macro all work admirably.

The 50/1.4g is a bit of a dog.

There is no way to justify a decision on specs alone that will make everybody happy.
People take great pictures with either line.
Don't be paralyzed by fear of making a 'wrong' decision because you can't go wrong.
Handle them and pick the one you like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back