Need help deciding witch camera to purchase

olmiss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

For a few months now I have been wanting to buy a new camera and was not sure which kind to get.

Today I got the Canon PowerShot SX120 IS but was skeptical because it uses AA batteries and I was told that was a no go. (I have 14 days to return it)

If you guys could help me find the best camera for me, I'd really appreciate it!

I want to take semi-pro pics - I'm a graphic designer so I know this is a good skill to have. But, I want something small enough to fit a purse so it can serve multi functions - to use for semi - pro pics and as a camera to take out for a night on the town.

Need something that takes clear pictures at night especially and has a great zoom. I heard 10 and up is good?

I also did not want to spend more than $500 - No more than $300 is ideal. I really like the Canon but I don't like how it uses AA batteries.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, regular AA batteries tend to lose their charge faster than lithium batteries.

You might want to wait until March when the Sony SX5V camera comes out and take a look at it, because it has tons of features and is in your price range.

25mm to 250mm lens
10 frames per second burst mode
built in GPS and compass to indicate where pic was taken and what direction photographer was facing
WIFI connectivity
HDMI connectivity
hi speed USB port
built in HDR shooting and blending
built in Panorama shooting and stitching
twilight mode to reduce picture noise through high speed shooting and blending images in extremely low light
10 megapixels

skieur

Just buy rechargeable AA battery's. As long as you charge them before you go out it will be fine. I have a sx10 is and have no problems with using AA.

Just buy rechargeable AA battery's. As long as you charge them before you go out it will be fine. I have a sx10 is and have no problems with using AA.

As mentioned AA rechargeables NEED to be charged every time befor you go out or use them. This is not the case with lithium. AA rechargeables also get very hot after charging and tend to slow down as they drain. Again this is not the case with lithium.

skieur

I dont disagree with you but dont all batterys slow down as they drain? Also when I know that Im going to be using my rebel xt I always make sure my batterys are charged. Its do different than remembering to charge AA's. Maybe Im wrong but I have to no issues with using rechargeables.

I dont disagree with you but dont all batterys slow down as they drain? Also when I know that Im going to be using my rebel xt I always make sure my batterys are charged. Its do different than remembering to charge AA's. Maybe Im wrong but I have to no issues with using rechargeables.

I have no issues with using AA rechargeables for a flash unit, but not for a camera and that is the general attitude expressed by experienced camera users and by many of the photo magazine evaluators of cameras.

And by the way, I don't find that lithium batteries slow down as they drain.

skieur

I totally agree. Id rather use lithium batteries also but some cameras are made to use AA's. I just happen to have one of the those cameras. All Im saying is that since I cant buy lithium I bought rechargeables. Much cheaper than buying packs of AA's all the time.

I guess my have bad lithium batterys because as mine die my buffer level takes longer to recharge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back