need help deciding..

vince_david619

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking into buying my first DSLR camera am looking at cannon and nikon. im leaning more towards nikon because it seems they have more/ better accessories like their flashes/ wireless flashes which i will indeed be using. i was looking at the D5000, D300s, and D700. there was also a few by cannon i chekd out but forgot the name. my past film cameras by canon were descent but i wasnt satisfied. i want to do some real photography to start my career and want to make this camera last awhile. im looking to try and spend no more than $1050.. but if i HAVE to, then i will. any suggestions on which brand to go with and what camera i should get? if theres a better camera you know of around that price range it would be greatly appreciated.

Well I can't speak for Canon, but if you're thinking Nikon and $1050 is your budget, get a D90 hands down. You don't need any more camera than that unless you're shooting a lot of sports or other action, or doing a lot of indoor/low-light work. For that you should think about a D300s or the D700. The D700 is going to be the best for indoor sports/action simply because it's full frame, has a much more sophisticated autofocus system, and has much cleaner high ISO performance.

Having said that though I shoot my son's indoor basketball games with my D90 and I'm very impressed with it every time I do. For the most critical sports work though, it's hard to beat a 51-point AF system and full frame (D700).

If you get the D5000 you're limited to AF-S and AF-I lenses for autofocus. There are tons of AF-D lenses out there that are excellent and inexpensive, like the 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 AF-D, the 85mm f/1.8 AF-D, 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D, etc., but they won't AF on the D5000. However, the D90 can AF these lenses because of its built-in AF motor.

thats really helpful because i havent even looked at the D90 and im not really planning on shooting low light shots and much sports, so it sounds like the D90 might be the camera for me. i plan on just using it for setups and hopefully when it comes to it, indoor photoshoots.. but ill have plenty of lighting setup. thanks

I cannot tell you particular models as I don't study them as much anymore but I CAN tell you that Canon, in my opinion, offers a much more... 'clean' image. That's the only way I can describe it. I don't know what it is about Nikon but I can always tell (in a negative way) that photographs were shot with a Nikon camera when I come across them. That may just be me though - I'm sure there are tons of people here who will rip my head off and tell me how wrong I am, haha. Goodluck finding your camera!

Most reactions

Back