Need help figuring out this Flash..

FYI abuse has been reported.

I only read the first page, but Derrel's response is the correct one.

Up to the point where he informed us that what he was intending to was walk around with the flash while it is not connected to the camera.

Then everything changed.

Walk around with the flash?? I guess I some how miss that.

If that is the case, a radio trigger is a better choice. To lower the cost, just search for "PT-04 radio trigger". There are tons of this on the market with different brands.

It is the nature of forums that, frequently, people will read the first post and respond directly to that without reading the thread that follows the first post.

It is the nature of the internet that people don't bother to read much of anything. They skim, and formulate a rough idea of what you probably said, based on these assumptions:

- that you are an idiot, or at any rate much less intelligent than they are
- that your question or remark is pretty much the same as other remarks or questions that contain some similar keywords

then they think up an answer that will make them look as clever and amusing as possible. This may or may not include an actual answer to the question they think you asked.

As you can see, getting an actual correct answer or response to what you actually wrote is going to be a pretty rare event.

Life, based on what I read, you did sound quite rule. Of course, that made not be your intention, but it appears to be that way. Please understand that people were trying to help even if their solution may not work for you.

So back to your question. Are you trying to get 2 flashes fire at the same time while one flash is on the hotshoe and then other one is mounted on the flash bracket?

If that is the case, you can use a optical slave for the one that mount on the bracket if you are planning to use it indoor. (pre-flash may cause problem).

OR you can get this

FlashZebra.com: Off Camera iTTL Cord for Nikon — 3 Foot Coiled Cord (Item #0244)

One end put on the hotshoe and then piggy back the macro flash on it. So the macro flash sit on top of the cable end which attached to the hot shoe. For the other end of the cable, just connected with the other flash.
"So back to your question. Are you trying to get 2 flashes fire at the same time while one flash is on the hotshoe " This is exactly correct :) " So back to your question. Are you trying to get 2 flashes fire at the same time while one flash is on the hotshoe and then other one is mounted on the flash bracket?" Yes this will be sometimes true, but not always.

I plan to shoot largly outdoors. will it still work then? Thank you for not reacting like all the others with rude and unsultful posts. And thanks for the info, this was actually really helpful :)

I plan to shoot largly outdoors. will it still work then?
As long as the flashes are close to the camera

I really think using a radio trigger is the way to go. And it does not has to be expensive especially you are not planning to shoot professionally. As I post earlier, there are a lot of PT-04 radio trigger out there.

i.e.

1 Transmitter (mount on Hotshoe) and 2 receivers (connect to the flashes)
PT 04 GY 4 Channels Wireless Flash Trigger 2RECEIVERS YONGNUO Canon Nikon Pentax | eBay

Or search pt-04 flash trigger in Amazon.

Of course, while PT-04 flash trigger will work in your application, there are some newer flash triggers out there that may work even better (including those that made by Yongnuo) but they are usually cost more.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Up to the point where he informed us that what he was intending to was walk around with the flash while it is not connected to the camera.

Then everything changed.

Yeah, the "walking around" with a remote trigger thing came outta' left field. Well, I suppose we allll learned something out of this thread.

It is the nature of forums that, frequently, people will read the first post and respond directly to that without reading the thread that follows the first post. It is the nature of the internet that people don't bother to read much of anything. They skim, and formulate a rough idea of what you probably said, based on these assumptions: - that you are an idiot, or at any rate much less intelligent than they are - that your question or remark is pretty much the same as other remarks or questions that contain some similar keywords then they think up an answer that will make them look as clever and amusing as possible. This may or may not include an actual answer to the question they think you asked. As you can see, getting an actual correct answer or response to what you actually wrote is going to be a pretty rare event.

I don't agree. At least not with this community. I've asked specific questions and gotten specific thought out answers to those questions. I don't recall ever a case where a question of mine wasn't answered. So in my experience it is anything but, "a pretty rare event".

It is the nature of forums that, frequently, people will read the first post and respond directly to that without reading the thread that follows the first post.

It is the nature of the internet that people don't bother to read much of anything. They skim, and formulate a rough idea of what you probably said, based on these assumptions:

- that you are an idiot, or at any rate much less intelligent than they are
- that your question or remark is pretty much the same as other remarks or questions that contain some similar keywords

then they think up an answer that will make them look as clever and amusing as possible. This may or may not include an actual answer to the question they think you asked.

As you can see, getting an actual correct answer or response to what you actually wrote is going to be a pretty rare event.
I might disagree with pretty rare.. But I do agree with everything else.
I plan to shoot largly outdoors. will it still work then?
As long as the flashes are close to the camera

I really think using a radio trigger is the way to go. And it does not has to be expensive especially you are not planning to shoot professionally. As I post earlier, there are a lot of PT-04 radio trigger out there.

i.e.

1 Transmitter (mount on Hotshoe) and 2 receivers (connect to the flashes)
PT 04 GY 4 Channels Wireless Flash Trigger 2RECEIVERS YONGNUO Canon Nikon Pentax | eBay

Or search pt-04 flash trigger in Amazon.

Of course, while PT-04 flash trigger will work in your application, there are some newer flash triggers out there that may work even better (including those that made by Yongnuo) but they are usually cost more.
I know I could probably google this, but i'd like to see it from you guys if possible. How exactly does the trigger work? I mean like, to I have to press the button myself, or will it fire off when the other flash goes off. And FYI this sentance was about the "wireless" part of it :p. And then to be clear, the PT o4 I can mount on my bracket, and use the sync cord that it comes with and plug it into the camera, and then play the flash on one of those hotshoes and then it should work wirelessly..? Or am I still confused? And this might clear things up a bit for everyone: "Walk around" is only an example. This is exactly what I will do with the flash: I ONLY need it to do wireless for Macro work. I don't actually plan on going any distance of sort. I just wanted to be clear that it needed to work off camera. Whenever I do NOT do macro work chances are it would be on the bracket. Hope that clears things up a bit?

Then everything changed.

Yeah, the "walking around" with a remote trigger thing came outta' left field. Well, I suppose we all learned something out of this thread.
I suppose.

FYI I still don't mean to sound rude.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

About as rare as the OP asking a clearly stated question.

Trying to understand the OP's question is sometimes like pulling teeth, herding cats, analyzing a schizophrenic, shoeing an elephant, pushing on a rope, and performing a psychic reading.

Oh well, at least we got through this one without anybody being banned.

And I think we answered his question.

I know I could probably google this, but i'd like to see it from you guys if possible. How exactly does the trigger work? I mean like, to I have to press the button myself, or will it fire off when the other flash goes off. And FYI this sentance was about the "wireless" part of it :p. And then to be clear, the PT o4 I can mount on my bracket, and use the sync cord that it comes with and plug it into the camera, and then play the flash on one of those hotshoes and then it should work wirelessly..? Or am I still confused? And this might clear things up a bit for everyone: "Walk around" is only an example. This is exactly what I will do with the flash: I ONLY need it to do wireless for Macro work. I don't actually plan on going any distance of sort. I just wanted to be clear that it needed to work off camera. Whenever I do NOT do macro work chances are it would be on the bracket. Hope that clears things up a bit?

:banghead:

I know I could probably google this, but i'd like to see it from you guys if possible. How exactly does the trigger work? I mean like, to I have to press the button myself, or will it fire off when the other flash goes off.

First off, you might not know how to define the search parameters on Google, so better to come here and ask your questions.

Secondly; unless you are very quick with your reflexes, and can press a button at the precise time the shutter is open, you cannot fire your flash by pressing a button and have the picture come out the way you want. It needs to be done within the electronics of the camera and the flash(es).

About as rare as the OP asking a clearly stated question.

Trying to understand the OP's question is sometimes like pulling teeth, herding cats, analyzing a schizophrenic, shoeing an elephant, pushing on a rope, and performing a psychic reading.

Oh well, at least we got through this one without anybody being banned.

And I think we answered his question.
Oh my god do you ever stop posting crap?

I don't get why you and braineack haven't been removed from this thread. You only consist of rude posts and stupid lies. And make forums very unpleasant. Tell me, how does crying day and night solve anything? The problem was solved already last night. So you just keep bringing back the trouble, and then say it's my fault. FYI, Abuse reported.

I go on vacation and there's a nuclear explosion.

It is always best to provide a TOTAL list of all equipment being used (and what you have at your disposal) And the end result one is looking for.
Spoon feeding information only lends to different results as are misinterpretationed.

Photography is based on results one is attempting to obtain.

If we have a better idea of what result (examples out on the web, etc) then we can better help to tell you what setup could have been used for that result.
Of course, with photography, that will require monies to obtain the technologies. Of course trying to mimic the result with less can also be obtained.

For example: If you wanted to start doing professional caliber studio portraiture ... you are talking tons of money for strobes, various expensive diffusers, et all.
But for a home studio .. 4 flashes, umbrellas, background. This gets one "part way" there in comparison.
Add some ingenuity and you can make up some more ground.

But if you plan on walking around with a flash in hand and remote triggering the camera, and not be limited by cords, then radio triggering is the way to go. Which, unfortunately I don't think there's a way around that, so that will cost $$
And as Derrel mentions, equipment durability costs $$ .. when you spend less, you get less.

You might want to "REBOOT"
and tell us what you are trying to photographically accomplish in total
and be as descriptive as possible .. rather than wanting to walk around holding a flash, or two .. or three .... and a macro flash. I'm just plain confused.

I go on vacation and there's a nuclear explosion.

It is always best to provide a TOTAL list of all equipment being used (and what you have at your disposal) And the end result one is looking for.
Spoon feeding information only lends to different results as are misinterpretationed.

Photography is based on results one is attempting to obtain.

If we have a better idea of what result (examples out on the web, etc) then we can better help to tell you what setup could have been used for that result.
Of course, with photography, that will require monies to obtain the technologies. Of course trying to mimic the result with less can also be obtained.

For example: If you wanted to start doing professional caliber studio portraiture ... you are talking tons of money for strobes, various expensive diffusers, et all.
But for a home studio .. 4 flashes, umbrellas, background. This gets one "part way" there in comparison.
Add some ingenuity and you can make up some more ground.

But if you plan on walking around with a flash in hand and remote triggering the camera, and not be limited by cords, then radio triggering is the way to go. Which, unfortunately I don't think there's a way around that, so that will cost $$
And as Derrel mentions, equipment durability costs $$ .. when you spend less, you get less.

You might want to "REBOOT"
and tell us what you are trying to photographically accomplish in total
and be as descriptive as possible .. rather than wanting to walk around holding a flash, or two .. or three .... and a macro flash. I'm just plain confused.
I'll do that.. Equipment, and I'll find an a couple examples. Might be a couple hours before you see that post, but it'll come. And I got a job, so $$ won't be too big of a problem anymore.

For the Wireless radio trigger:

- You need at least one Transmitter which attached to the camera via hotshore or sync port with cable and one receiver which attached to the flash directly via hotshoe (yes, most of them provide a hotshoe for the flash) or sync port with cable. So if you 6 flashes, you just need 1 transmitter and 6 receivers and 6 flashes.

- You do not really need sync cord at all, you can just use hotshoe on the camera for the transmitter, and hotshoe on the receiver for the flash. (you can, but you do not have to)

- When you press the shutter button, the transmitter will send signal to the receivers and all flashes on the receivers will fire at the same time. Much better than using optical slave especially during the day or there is no line of sight between the camera and flash. You can even put the receiver with flash inside a pot or behind a wall, it will still fire.

Take a look at the following video, this is a Cactus Radio Trigger (a little more expensive), but you should get the idea on how those radio triggers setup.

Also, those lower cost Radio trigger works with manual flash (no TTL) or regular flash that has manual settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back