off camera flash setup......?

Thanks Designer. I do know that my camera has a flash sync no faster than 200. What does one do when they actually need a faster SS than 200, when using a flash?
I can't imagine a scenario wherein you would need a shutter speed in excess of 1/200 of a second while using flash.

Water drop photography? Someone on TPF posted some excellent high speed flash shots of some models frolicking on a beach some time ago...
Beach/Surfer High-Speed Sync Portraits

You'll need a flash setup capable of HSS ( high speed sync) to get faster than 1/200

One option is to use a neutral density filter to get in effect a speed of roughly 1/1600 second or so... but with
The shutter at 1/200. Of course this cuts down your flash power effectively by four stops with a 4-stop Neutral density filter. The other option is to invest in flash is that a capable of what Nikon calls FP synchronization,what many call hi-speed sync. As I recall your Nikon SB 600 does not offer the feature. Both the camera and the flash unit must be capable of this type of modern flash.

I see by your original post that you have a Nikon D5100 which does not have a shutter capable of doing FP sync. This feature is not available in the 3000 and 5000 series Nikons.

Thanks Designer. I do know that my camera has a flash sync no faster than 200. What does one do when they actually need a faster SS than 200, when using a flash?
I can't imagine a scenario wherein you would need a shutter speed in excess of 1/200 of a second while using flash.
Thanks.....I guess I was just curious.

Water drop photography? Someone on TPF posted some excellent high speed flash shots of some models frolicking on a beach some time ago...
Beach/Surfer High-Speed Sync Portraits

You'll need a flash setup capable of HSS ( high speed sync) to get faster than 1/200
Good to know for future use......thanks again.

Most reactions

Back