Need Help Shooting a Waterfall in HDR

JRE313

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I plan on shooting a waterfall,But with a DSLR, I know you can give the water a cream dreamy effect.
I heard to do this, You have to have your F number really low like 5.6 and your shutter speed like around 4-8 seconds.
I plan on using Auto Exposure Bracketing like I always do.
Is this true?

Also, it I shoot around 5.6, wont everything be out of focus?
I normally use F8-13.

I also have a polarization filter.

If you have anything useful to add, Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!!

JRE313 said:
I plan on shooting a waterfall,But with a DSLR, I know you can give the water a cream dreamy effect.
I heard to do this, You have to have your F number really low like 5.6 and your shutter speed like around 4-8 seconds.
I plan on using Auto Exposure Bracketing like I always do.
Is this true?

Also, it I shoot around 5.6, wont everything be out of focus?
I normally use F8-13.

I also have a polarization filter.

If you have anything useful to add, Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!!

I don't think the aperture matters so much as the shutter speed.

If you want the silk smooth look to the water you need a slow shutter speed. I recommend getting a variable ND filter. They work like a polarizer, and you turn the filter until you get the desired shutter speed. I have one that goes from 0 to 8 fstops. Once you have your shutter speed down enough you just shoot the HDR as you would normally. All you have done is just slow things down so the water looks smooth. Conversely if you shoot fast the water will freeze like ice. As for what fstop to use, well make sure that everything in the scene is in focus. Id recommend f8 with your 0EV set to 1 second. If you shoot 5 then you will have 1 shot 1/2 sec and 1 shot 1/4 sec. Also 1 shot 2 seconds and 1 shot 4 seconds. They should all be slow enough to give you a real silky look. It might sound complicated but you just set your camera to take the best single shot. Then rotate the ND filter until your shutter speed is 1 second. Then bracket your shots.

Last edited:
If you want the silk smooth look to the water you need a slow shutter speed. I recommend getting a variable ND filter. They work like a polarizer, and you turn the filter until you get the desired shutter speed. I have one that goes from 0 to 8 fstops. Once you have your shutter speed down enough you just shoot the HDR as you would normally. All you have done is just slow things down so the water looks smooth. Conversely if you shoot fast the water will freeze like ice. As for what fstop to use, well make sure that everything in the scene is in focus. Id recommend f8 with your 0EV set to 1 second. If you shoot 5 then you will have 1 shot 1/2 sec and 1 shot 1/4 sec. Also 1 shot 2 seconds and 1 shot 4 seconds. They should all be slow enough to give you a real silky look.

Cool
thanks bynx, how much did it cost you?

In Canada at Henry's Camera it was $99. Its worth the price to be able to control your shutter speed like it does. If you have lenses with different filter sizes then buy the largest one and use step down rings to fit the other lenses.

Here is a waterfall I shot yesterday for that silky look using the variable ND filter.

5ed3dw.jpg

Most reactions

Back