Need Help -- Tips on how to be a professional photgrapher

iamroyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
tiny.cc
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys, I'm new to this forum and I want some tips to learn more about photography. Can anyone give his/her advice? Post and Comments are much appreciated. :)

Go to your local library.

Read all of the books about photography. NOT DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY. Read the books from the 70's and 80's. They focus on the art, composition, ect. . . .

Then read books in the business section. Learn how to start your own company.

LEARN photography. People pay photographer because they have the equipment they do not have and the knowledge they do not have.

So. Get your tools. Cameras. Lenses. Flashes. Cases. Stands. Umbrellas, Softboxes. Reflectors. Computer w/ editing software. ECT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Get a Tax I.D.

Get insurance.

Find clientele.

Do all this while turning a profit.

Basically it breaks down to this:
If you need to ask, your not anywhere ready.

Srry for being so blunt. . . . . .

(Read the last week's worth of posts --- this topic is regularly discussed.)

Knowledge, hard work, luck, talent, patience, business acumen, making the right choices of equipment and software, self education, etc....

I don't mean to be glib, but there are a couple of current threads dealing with this same topic. Please, do yourself a favor and delve in and look around before you repeat all the same questions from earlier today.

Yes, it's okay. Thank you guys. This is helpful. I need some tips and your posts are really appreciated. :)

By the way biggs88, why not digital photography? Can you give me some reason? Particularly, I'm interested in digital photography.

Yes, it's okay. Thank you guys. This is helpful. I need some tips and your posts are really appreciated. :)

By the way biggs88, why not digital photography? Can you give me some reason? Particularly, I'm interested in digital photography.

Because digital photo books focus on what these camera *can* do.

Anyone can program a dvd player, work a computer, and in time, learn how to use every feature on a digital camera.

What everyone seems to miss is the art of it.

Your looking to become a good photographer. Read books about photography. Digital is just the format your going to use. Older books about photography are not format specific. Rather universal to the art.

The older books (IMHO) are worlds apart (better) from the newer stuff of today.

Ok. Thanks for the great info. I'm saving right now to buy new camera (though I have no Idea what should I buy) -- I'm also reading books and reading more threads here to have some ideas. :)

Yes, that's right. It's useless if you know only technical stuff. Photography is an art and passion. :)

Start a bank account for your photography equipment. Buy a cheap film camera, learn how to use it. Add a flash, learn how to use one, then add more. Continue saving while learning. When you feel that what you are shooting on film is at a quaility level you can sell(technically and compositionally), see how much money you have saved up for a Professional digital system. Get the business/legal aspects in order and learn how to run a business.

One way to go about it.

Ok. Thanks for the great info. I'm saving right now to buy new camera (though I have no Idea what should I buy) -- I'm also reading books and reading more threads here to have some ideas. :)

As you learn, you will be using the gear you have now. The more you learn, the more you will want to do. As you get better, you will find the limitations of your gear. Once you know exactly what your limitations are, you will know what cameras to look for that will limit you less. (all cameras from disposable $5 cameras to the $50,000 Phase Ones have limitations)

You will get there.

Heck, I am still in the beginning phase myself!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's right. I'm planning on that too. And to be HONEST with you guys, I'm just recently interested in photography (for some personal reasons). Hahaha. Anyway, thanks for the post. I hope more people will post and give advice. :)

As you learn, you will be using the gear you have now. The more you learn, the more you will want to do. As you get better, you will find the limitations of your gear. Once you know exactly what your limitations are, you will know what cameras to look for that will limit you less. (all cameras from disposable $5 cameras to the $50,000 Phase Ones have limitations)

You will get there.

Heck, I am still in the beginning phase myself!!!!!!!!

Hahaha. Thanks for the advice. I'm reading good ebooks now. My new girlfriend advice me to read good ebooks in internet. :) she share's her stuff with me. LOL!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back