Need help with a Vivitar 3800n

sojeph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just acquired a vivitar 3800n Film SLR camera for free (YAY!). Anyways I have never used a non cell phone/digital camera. I have messed with a DSLR before but that was it. This camera is very confusing to me but I have read all the manuals and such that I can find on it. The problem I am having is when I press the shutter button I never get a picture down the view finder. When I took the lens off, it seems that the mirror up top in the camera is not dropping down at all. I have bought new batteries so I know that it is not the cause of my problem. I can see the +,O,- on the right hand side for the aperture but it is always a - meaning it is too dark. If anyone knows anything or can help it would GREATLY appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.
I just acquired a vivitar 3800n Film SLR camera for free (YAY!). The problem I am having is when I press the shutter button I never get a picture down the view finder. When I took the lens off, it seems that the mirror up top in the camera is not dropping down at all.
Maybe that's why it was for free. Mirror is jammed. Try to pray it down with the tip of a knife, maybe the jam is caused by sticky light seal, maybe mirror slid down a bit from its bracket and wedged itself in up position.
As long as mirror is up light metering cell is not getting any light

Most reactions

New Topics

Back