Need help with strobes.

trades2cash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is the deal. I have a nikon d90 that i have become very comfortable shooting in manual mode so I am not an entire newbie. I got a pretty good grasp on exposure and iso an etc. Now the thing is that i never use the flash. I recently got 2 square perfect strobes and light boxes for some indoor shooting. I have a wireless transmitter and the strobes trigger just fine. What i am having trouble understanding is why i am limited to certain shutter speeds. If i try to shot faster than 1/200 the lower part of the photo is black. Now I Know my way around my menu and manual for the camera, but the ttl mode and commander mode is really losing me. So how would you shot someone who is jumping in the air and you cant shot 1/500 or faster? Thanks for any input.

The flash sync for the D90 is 1/200. Therefore to sync your shutter with the flash you must be at 1/200 or below. That is why when you go higher the lower part of the image is black. The black part is your shutter.

This happens because under 1/200th your sensor is fully exposed and can catch the entire scene with a flash...anything over 1/200th, the rear curtain is starting to close before the front curtain has reach the end of it's travel, so the entire sensor isn't open during the flash. The faster the shutter speed, the sooner the rear curtain follows, thus the narrower the slit that is moving across the sensor (or film).

And as a side note 1/200 is a lot better than it used to be. Back in the day it was 1/60 that was where your flash synced. So, you can stop more action than before but not all of it. Use available light or go with the blur. There are some other things you can do but since you are just starting out using flash, work on getting exposure correct and creating beautiful images.

And as a side note 1/200 is a lot better than it used to be. Back in the day it was 1/60 that was where your flash synced. So, you can stop more action than before but not all of it. Use available light or go with the blur. There are some other things you can do but since you are just starting out using flash, work on getting exposure correct and creating beautiful images.

This is one particular reason why I miss my D70s, and am considering picking up another one....1/500th sync speed.

The newer cameras and flashes from Nikon and Canon allow for high speed flash syncs, but require ETTL connectivity to make it work. If that's important to your shooting, it can be done.

The newer cameras and flashes from Nikon and Canon allow for high speed flash syncs, but require ETTL connectivity to make it work. If that's important to your shooting, it can be done.

Just remember this is on speed lights, ETTL and iTTL do not work with full strobes.

I can do that with my SB800, but I don't think it's possible with studio strobes, as the OP is inquiring.

EDIT: Speedtrap beat me to it....

Just remember this is on speed lights, ETTL and iTTL do not work with full strobes.
Yeah, I know. I thought that was obvious. Maybe more obvious if I bold it in red and underline it...

I'm just saying, IF it's important to the OP's shooting that he be able to get high speed flash sync'd photos, it can be done - obviously, only with the gear that will allow that.

Ahhh what's going on here?!?!? Ok ok ok..the sync speed refers to the on camera flash only. With a flash like the sb-600 on the D90, you can shoot at any shutter speed, and this is the same with the strobe off camera. There is a setting, and it's in your manual. That's how I found mine. :)

Ahhh what's going on here?!?!? Ok ok ok..the sync speed refers to the on camera flash only. With a flash like the sb-600 on the D90, you can shoot at any shutter speed, and this is the same with the strobe off camera. There is a setting, and it's in your manual. That's how I found mine. :)

I just love it when people post things and don't explain what they are talking about.

If your camera is connected to your flash be it a sync cord or the hotshoe you have a certain shutter speed that your camera will sync at. For the D90 it is 1/200. There are other ways just like I mentioned in my earlier post that can be done but everyone needs to learn the basics first otherwise they get confused.

Trades2cash let us know if you have any more questions.

If your camera is connected to your flash be it a sync cord or the hotshoe you have a certain shutter speed that your camera will sync at. For the D90 it is 1/200. There are other ways just like I mentioned in my earlier post that can be done but everyone needs to learn the basics first otherwise they get confused.

Yea, that's why I NEVER shoot with my sb-600 with that set sync speed. I shoot with it at ANY shutter speed, and I didn't do anything that was stated in this post.

Trades2cash let us know if you have any more questions.

Ever heard of FP sync mode???? :lol:

I just love it when people post things and don't explain what they are talking about.

If your camera is connected to your flash be it a sync cord or the hotshoe you have a certain shutter speed that your camera will sync at. For the D90 it is 1/200.
Except that the Nikon D90 can sync with a Nikon speedlight at any shutter speed using Auto FP High-Speed Sync, even at incredibly fast shutter speeds like 1/8000th, and it can be done through a sync cord if that sync cord supports iTTL, or a hotshoe, or using iTTL Commander type arrangements for wireless off-camera flash, as long as both the camera and speedlight gear support Nikon's "Auto FP High-Speed Sync", which it is my understanding that all their modern DSLR and speedlight products do.

Supported Nikon cameras and speedlights as of a year ago, October 2008:

• NIkon SB-900
• Nikon SB-800
• Nikon SB-600
• Nikon SB-R200
• Nikon SB-28DX
• Nikon SB-80DX
• Nikon D80 (#25: Auto-FP: On / Off)
• Nikon D90 (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D200 (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D300 (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D700 (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D2H / D2Hs (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D2X / D2Xs (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D3 (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D3H (e1 in CSM)
• Nikon D3X (e1 in CSM)

Canon has the same capability, and I've sync'd my 40D and 580EX-IIs at all kinds of speeds, into the thousandths of a second, other than the normal sync speed of 1/250th, including the use of ETTL sync cords to get the light off-camera while doing it.

Again, IF IT'S IMPORTANT for this Nikon D90 photographer to get high-speed flash syncs for their photography needs, that capability does exist - there is no ball and chain locking them down to 1/200th and nothing else.

To answer one other point for the OP, even at 1/200, or even at 1/4, you can freeze action quite nicely. If the room you are in is dark enough so that at your current shutter speed and aperture there is no apprecaible exposure, the flash will freeze any action.

Allan

Most reactions

Back