Need some much needed advice

You should. stop wasting your time with inferior glass.

and, as I've mentioned many times before to the OP

practice, practice, practice

The exposure triangle takes time to learn on your camera. Just reading about something will give you knowledge but NOT experience.

practice, practice, practice

and there's so much more to learn than just the exposure triangle.

having a low light lens f/1.8 is great. But you can't just take a family portrait at night and expect it to be great. You lose DOF. You have to learn the give and take of the exposure triangle and other technology that you are using.

You have to learn about lighting - Kmh I'm sure has given you many links to websites, books, etc that you must read to gain the knowledge. Then you must experiment with to gain the experience.

Having your dad in the backyard with the light to his back has many issues.
You need to identify those before you take the shoot
and compensate for it
a f/1.8 or f/0.95 lens won't help you without the experience and knowledge.

Who needs to learn how to shoot when you can get ED glass?

Well put astro, you could learn a thing or two from him braineack.

but inferior glass!

I agree, no amount of skill can ever gap that bridge. Experience and good gear go hand-in-hand. Someone who lacks either one will put out inferior work when compared to an equal who doesn't have the same limitations.

it's quite humbling.

I agree, no amount of skill can ever gap that bridge. Experience and good gear go hand-in-hand. Someone who lacks either one will put out inferior work when compared to an equal who doesn't have the same limitations.

that is just bull$h!t.
someone with experience and knowledge will use whatever comes along to create something.
yes, great equipment will help if the end result requires the characteristics that the equipment has but good work doesn't always mean perfect exposure and perfect focus.

Again, all of this knowledge and BS is completely irrelevant if you, the OP, can't yet take a decent picture.

that is just bull$h!t.
someone with experience and knowledge will use whatever comes along to create something.
yes, great equipment will help if the end result requires the characteristics that the equipment has but good work doesn't always mean perfect exposure and perfect focus.

Again, all of this knowledge and BS is completely irrelevant if you, the OP, can't yet take a decent picture.

Well said.

that is just bull$h!t.

I am already aware of my own shortcomings and have never kept it a secret. But if a comment like that coming from a novice who started photographing a few weeks ago bothered the great Lew Lorton, then you must know its true somewhere in your mind.

Just trying to get you to take more pictures instead of cramming your head with information that you haven't used yet.

You have all these threads filled with 'stuff' and you aren't assimilating it.
I'm not 'great' just content to say what I think.

I think the point is that except under specific marginal conditions where good gear makes the difference between getting "something" and "nothing", the rest of the time the gear is much less important than the knowledge and skill of the photographer. Braineac was jerking your chain a little, I suspect. If you follow some of the other threads that are currently roiling the internet waves, there is a lot of discussion about whether technical quality trumps artistic creativity and expression. At least in my point of view, good technique and knowledge of the tools help fulfill the potential in artistic expression, but good technical execution does not in itself make the resulting image either interesting or engaging. On the other hand, you CAN get very moving and expressive images even if the technical quality is lacking. I think people should learn the technical stuff, internalize it, and then move on to the much harder task of making interesting, meaningful and insightful images.

@Lew

I appreciate that you care enough to voice your opinion. I should probably practice more than i am now, but i am learning a great deal. Like now i know why my colours look so weird thanks to you, or why my subject turned out so dark thanks to pgriz. Its a slow process for me.

I think the point is that except under specific marginal conditions where good gear makes the difference between getting "something" and "nothing", the rest of the time the gear is much less important than the knowledge and skill of the photographer. Braineac was jerking your chain a little, I suspect. If you follow some of the other threads that are currently roiling the internet waves, there is a lot of discussion about whether technical quality trumps artistic creativity and expression. At least in my point of view, good technique and knowledge of the tools help fulfill the potential in artistic expression, but good technical execution does not in itself make the resulting image either interesting or engaging. On the other hand, you CAN get very moving and expressive images even if the technical quality is lacking. I think people should learn the technical stuff, internalize it, and then move on to the much harder task of making interesting, meaningful and insightful images.

If i start worrying about making meaningful or insightful pictures, then i'll crawl into bed and forget the whole thing. All i can do is do what i enjoy. Taking pictures. If i happen to take a good picture or not during my time, then that is fine too. All i care about is enjoying myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back