Need to know in a hurry (another lens question-sorry)

RedWylder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just found out that my hubby is taking me camera shopping (surprise) to get my new D7000. I know that I could find this info on this forum but I've got little time to figure it out before we go.

Soo question: thinking of going with just the body and choosing the lens I want to start with rather than the kit lens. I know some of you really suggest just getting the kit lens so that's still an option I guess but I'd like to hear some other options of if you think the kit lens is the way to go, why?

What I plan on using it for: portraits is what I want to get good at. So I'd like something that does well with portraits but would be versatile enough to do some other things (landscape) if needed.

Ok I'm rambling---help please? (should mention my budget for all is under $2000

What exactly is the point of getting a kit lens if you already know kit lenses are not that good?

the real question is.. where are you going to buy the d7000 body only thats in stock?

Also a good question: I was in the camera store the other day and didn't think to ask that. Dammit! Maybe I'll be in luck.

Ok so lets pretend it's a perfect world and it is in fact instock.... which lens? lol

What are you going to do with your D3000 and the 18-55? If you're planning on selling them, you could sell just the body, keep the 18-55, and then buy a nicer lens (maybe a prime) when you pick up the D7000.

Versatility - Quality - Affordability. The lens triangle. ;)

What are you going to do with your D3000 and the 18-55? If you're planning on selling them, you could sell just the body, keep the 18-55, and then buy a nicer lens (maybe a prime) when you pick up the D7000.

Versatility - Quality - Affordability. The lens triangle. ;)

good idear! i would do this, but im keeping my d3000 as a back up camera... so if you want a back up camera then keep it.. also, adorama has the body only refurbished by nikon foral for 1165 which leaves enough amount for a wonderful lens :) which lens? heck idk, theres so many too choose from.. i guess it all what your looking to shooot.. for portrait i personally would go with an 85mm, 105mm, or 135 mm.. for landscaped you should get a wide angle.. tamron and sigma make some decent ones

Oh the camera/lens I'm using now is my work's and seeing as how I have only a month left here, the camera will go with the job.

I honestly think it depends more on what 'kit' lens it comes with. If its a second party f4-5.6
I would say just buy the body. If its a manufacture lens price them, some are pretty dang
expensive and quite good. I don't have the budget to buy 1st party lenses, most of my lenses
are pro lenses but Tokina, and Sigma. You can nearly get two f2's for the price of one Nikon,
Canon exc... Not going to suggest focal lengths, I like zooms more bang for my buck vs one focal length.

7000 body ($1,199 new) + 50mm AF-D f/1.8 ($130 NEW) + 105mm AI f/2.5 ($180 USED)+ 85mm AF-D f/1.8 ($400 new) + 35mm AI-S f/2 ($200 used)= $2109

A little over budget, but you get the idea.

One of the best parts of the D-7000 (to me anyways) is the ability to use and meter with the older AI and AI-S lenses, as well as AF the AF lenses.......

Get them while they're still cheap.

I have the d7000 and bought it with the kit lens, fully expecting to sell off the kit lens since everyone knocks them. I still have it. I enjoy the versatility of the kit kens and after doing some tripod tests with it with my prime kens and some others I think the quality is well above what people usually give it credit for.

Get it with the kit lens and test it out. Then sell it if you don't need it.
Just my take.

Also, to be honest, just because there are higher-quality lenses out there, doesn't mean your photography will benefit from them quite yet. Learn to develop your eye using the kit lens and when you start noticing the areas where quality is poor and you know for a fact it's because of the lens and not because of your skill, then you're ready to invest in some better glass.

Well I'll see what they have available at the store and I'll take all of your advice into mind. Thanks!

Ok it's done, I now own a D7000 with kit lens plus a 50mm 1.8 prime, I also got a flash (Smart Flash by Phoenix) all for around $1800. I'm excited yet slightly overwhelmed by how much money I just dropped on photo equipment. Can't wait to start taking pictures! Charge battery, Charge!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back