• Dslr

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Csc

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cyclonus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a small dilemma. I thought I had my mind set on the fujifilm X-T1 for my next big camera. The problem I'm having is if it can be an all around good camera that can do portraits, landscapes, Street, weddings, night photography, and concerts. The reason I didn't look into the DSLR route is because you hear talk about the CSC cameras can do close what a DSLR can at half the size. That's of course until you compare the two. I like the size of CSC cameras and I would think I'd shoot with it more since I'd have it on me everyday. The problem is if I'm going to start doing weddings and big events I'm a tad bit nervous if the CSC cameras can produce the professional quality and technical part of the camera. I hear all the time that it's not the gear it's the photographer. So my overall question is is there a CSC camera out there can produce all around quality a DSLR can under $3000? If not what would be the best all around DSLR under $3000 would you recommend?

Thanks for thefeedback and sorry for the long post just trying to make sure I make my choice wisely!

CSC I assume is mirrorless camera ?

What makes the picture is the sensor and glass, mainly the quality of these 2 will determine the results.
True the user is 10 times more important then the gear but I will stick to gear on this reply.
Today mirrorless has advanced a lot and size isnt a reason to buy them anymore unless you want to go with MFT but those small sensors are good for general use and not really pro work.
If you do events then I would direct you at full frame sensor and the only mirrorless that has FF sensor is the Sony A7 family.
If I would buy a Sony A7 I would ONLY get the A7RII which is over 3000$ body only, add to that the 2 new G lenses and you are looking at another 5000$ on top of the camera.
On the other hand you can get a Nikon D610 for around 1500$ new or less used/refurbished
You can get used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 and used Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC both for around 1700$
This set is pretty much ready to do most of your needs except wildlife.

I have a small dilemma. I thought I had my mind set on the fujifilm X-T1 for my next big camera. The problem I'm having is if it can be an all around good camera that can do portraits, landscapes, Street, weddings, night photography, and concerts. The reason I didn't look into the DSLR route is because you hear talk about the CSC cameras can do close what a DSLR can at half the size. That's of course until you compare the two. I like the size of CSC cameras and I would think I'd shoot with it more since I'd have it on me everyday. The problem is if I'm going to start doing weddings and big events I'm a tad bit nervous if the CSC cameras can produce the professional quality and technical part of the camera. I hear all the time that it's not the gear it's the photographer. So my overall question is is there a CSC camera out there can produce all around quality a DSLR can under $3000? If not what would be the best all around DSLR under $3000 would you recommend?
Thanks for thefeedback and sorry for the long post just trying to make sure I make my choice wisely!

just start doing weddings - do you have any experience?

mirrorless models can give you professional quality photos assuming you have the right lens and experience
I think you'll find most wedding photographers use Canon or Nikon because of the lens selection and the full frame DSLRs cost less (compared to say, Sony)

I can not say anything about other mirrorless systems, but Fuji X-T1 (and X-T10) you have initially set your mind on will give you professional image quality. Will it rival a $3,000 DSLR system? It most certainly will and in many cases it will win. Still in some conditions it will loose.

Judging by the way you put your question, you are not a highly experienced shooter (nothing wrong with that), so in that respect it most probably exceeds your current abilities. Make no mistake, this is a high quality, very ambitious camera system. You can search the net and find some serous pros working with this camera and even shooting weddings.

So the question is not if the camera is capable to produce a quality image, but your capability to realise the potential of this or that particular camera system.

In that respect X-T1 has its advantages and disadvantages compared to a DSLR.

The advantages are smaller, more portable size of the camera system, amazing lenses, JPEGs that beat everything on the market plus a huge electronic viewfinder which allows you to see the picture before you press the shutter. You will have no problems under or overexposed photographs. It will make your work easier. You will get that part of your photography off you mind.

The disadvantages are slower autofocus, that is not as assured in difficult light conditions, which may make your life more difficult, and a power hungry system, so you will need to change your batteries more often.

A mirrorless camera works slightly differently, there are big differences in ergonomics, and it is worth trying both DSLR and mirrorless to decide.

So it all boils down to a questing of whether you can hit the nail on the head when you press the shutter button. If you can, do not worry, the image quality will be top notch.

To simplify things to the extreme, if it is a challenging, fast moving, quickly changing environment you are shooting in, you should look at a DSLR. If your shooting style is more relaxed with artistic intentions, a camera like XT-1 is a perfect tool.

I personally switched from a DSLR to XT1 and never looked back. Well, almost never. There are situations when I would love to have the AF of a pro DSLR body, especially with street shooting. Nevertheless I prefer this camera. It is a joy to shoot with, the lenses are pro quality and second to none, it delivers pro quality images. And last but not least, unlike a DSLR, I can put a pancake lense on it and throw it into my messenger bag on my way to the office.

Is it a pro camera? Is it a bulletproof versatile tool for all occasions? In my view no and no. But then again are you a pro shooter making a living with your photography, using and abusing your camera every day whatever the conditions?

Bear in mind, if you are on a tight budget, FUJI X system is not the best way to go, it is a costly system with most lenses being quite expensive. You mentioned $3,000, this system will make you spend this kind of money in an instant. And you will want to spend more. And more. Because the lenses are that good.

Last edited:
I have both the Nikon D810 and Sony A7Rii...And personally, I'm keeping the 810.

I liked the A7Rii because it was smaller, easier to just walk around with, while packing awesome features and quality.

However, I'm sure this is just because I'm so use to my Nikon, but I find myself missing way to shots due to focus issues.

No matter what settings I use on the Sony, focusing is a nightmare. Unless I'm shooting landscapes.

I used all auto settings, between small to large, to wide to flexible, continuous, spot, etc.

I just find the Nikon hits a lot more and easier than the Sony. Again, this may be personal style of shooting? Idk.

Sony, I really liked the 4k video quality and the built in wifi. So other than that, it was just "okay" in my opinion.

So I'm selling the Sony and hoping Nikon refreshed the 810 with 4k and wifi.

What makes the picture is the sensor and glass, mainly the quality of these 2 will determine the results.
True the user is 10 times more important then the gear but I will stick to gear on this reply.
Today mirrorless has advanced a lot and size isnt a reason to buy them anymore unless you want to go with MFT but those small sensors are good for general use and not really pro work.
If you do events then I would direct you at full frame sensor and the only mirrorless that has FF sensor is the Sony A7 family.
If I would buy a Sony A7 I would ONLY get the A7RII which is over 3000$ body only, add to that the 2 new G lenses and you are looking at another 5000$ on top of the camera.
On the other hand you can get a Nikon D610 for around 1500$ new or less used/refurbished
You can get used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 and used Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC both for around 1700$
Sony Rx 1 is full frame, Leica M 240, M9 are full frame

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Ö

Last edited:
The main reason why mirrorless cameras (as a system, i.e. with lenses) are smaller is simply because the sensor is smaller.

The image quality is definitely NOT an issue with the Fuji X system. Unless you count image quality in megapixels, then yes, you will "only" get 16. Or 24 with the brand new X-Pro2 (and very likely the upcoming X-T2).

Their sensors are high quality Sony sensors and have no issue whatsoever. They are "only" APS-C (24x16mm) instead of full frame (36x24mm), though. And the whole X-Trans deal is a bit annoying, due to poor support by raw converters, but oh well. Out of camera JPEGs are good; Fuji as a producer of film knows very well how to get that one right.

Their glas is pricey, but of high quality, both optically as well as build (except for the two cheap XC lenses, which are plastic instead of metal). Theres only very few underperformers (18mm f2, 16-55mm f2.8) and a lot of really great glas. Overall the number of available lens choices isnt too big yet, about 20 or so choices, but its a solid selection.

You also dont ask for either sports, wildlife, or macro photography, all of which I would see as archilles heels of Fuji X. Sports because the AF is good but not exactly the best, macro because there isnt a great macro lens for Fuji just yet (theres a 120mm promised this year, though), and wildlife will forever be the archilles heel of any mirrorless camera and the domain of DSLRs because wildlife shooters need to use the viewfinder for very prolonged times, which doesnt work well with an electronic viewfinder that consumes current.

Another issue with Fuji X, as well as any other mirrorless camera, is battery life. You can get about 300 shots out of a single battery; 600 with a battery grip.

About your question for the best general camera, thats IMHO currently the Nikon D750. It doesnt have issues in any field, its one of the best performers in every field, it can be reconfigured pretty fast (though Canon DSLRs are apparently even better in that area), and its still quite small and lightweight for what it is.

I have no issue to have a D750 on me all the time. Currently with a macro and a wide angle prime and a flash. I dont see how I would be able to carry around a X-T1 without a backpack, either. A lot of image quality in a really small package, thats really more the domain of my Ricoh GR.

The main reason why mirrorless cameras (as a system, i.e. with lenses) are smaller is simply because the sensor is smaller.

The image quality is definitely NOT an issue with the Fuji X system. Unless you count image quality in megapixels, then yes, you will "only" get 16. Or 24 with the brand new X-Pro2 (and very likely the upcoming X-T2).

Their sensors are high quality Sony sensors and have no issue whatsoever. They are "only" APS-C (24x16mm) instead of full frame (36x24mm), though. And the whole X-Trans deal is a bit annoying, due to poor support by raw converters, but oh well. Out of camera JPEGs are good; Fuji as a producer of film knows very well how to get that one right.

Their glas is pricey, but of high quality, both optically as well as build (except for the two cheap XC lenses, which are plastic instead of metal). Theres only very few underperformers (18mm f2, 16-55mm f2.8) and a lot of really great glas. Overall the number of available lens choices isnt too big yet, about 20 or so choices, but its a solid selection.

You also dont ask for either sports, wildlife, or macro photography, all of which I would see as archilles heels of Fuji X. Sports because the AF is good but not exactly the best, macro because there isnt a great macro lens for Fuji just yet (theres a 120mm promised this year, though), and wildlife will forever be the archilles heel of any mirrorless camera and the domain of DSLRs because wildlife shooters need to use the viewfinder for very prolonged times, which doesnt work well with an electronic viewfinder that consumes current.

Another issue with Fuji X, as well as any other mirrorless camera, is battery life. You can get about 300 shots out of a single battery; 600 with a battery grip.

About your question for the best general camera, thats IMHO currently the Nikon D750. It doesnt have issues in any field, its one of the best performers in every field, it can be reconfigured pretty fast (though Canon DSLRs are apparently even better in that area), and its still quite small and lightweight for what it is.

I have no issue to have a D750 on me all the time. Currently with a macro and a wide angle prime and a flash. I dont see how I would be able to carry around a X-T1 without a backpack, either. A lot of image quality in a really small package, thats really more the domain of my Ricoh GR.
One big thing the D750 does not beat the Fuji X on and that is style, I would take the Fuji over the D750

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well I'll look into the d610 and those lenses. Where would you get good refurbished glass?

In fact there are much more than 20 FUJI X-mount glass to play with, such as about 15 Samyang lenses, including the 8 mm fisheye and the 100 mm macro, some Zeiss of course, even Lensbaby, and some even more obscure stuff like the revived "bubble bokeh" Meyer Optic Trioplan 2,8/100, and the 35 mm f/0,95 Mitakon that was also rebranded by Meyer as Nocturnus. I have seen somewhere the full roadmap with over 60 X-mount lenses atm. Never mind you can use any Nikon or Canon lense with an adapter incl. macro/micro. But that all is not of course mainstream.

Well I'll look into the d610 and those lenses. Where would you get good refurbished glass?
Refurbished Tamron ?
I really don't know but if you check Adorama or B&H they have a lot of used lenses with warranty and these companies are very good source to get used equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back