Negative and slide scanner

cguron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to know from experts' experience which one of the available multipurpose scanners performs well in scanning 35mm negatives and mounted color slides for creating digital files. I would like to create TIFF files. I would also like to know what scanner features or capabilities are more important than others. Price is also a concern. Any advice you can provide will be highly appreciated. Can the HP G-4050 scanner fulfil my purpose? cguron

I'm going to try and do this graphically for you:

I've used a lot of different scanners of the past 20 years including the best brands of multi-format scanners from Agfa, Epson, Canon, HP etc. and dedicated desktop film scanners as well as commercial drum scanners. I've scanned thousands of negatives of formats from APS to 8x10 -- mostly 35mm and 70mm.

I think you should be looking for a used dedicated film scanner.

Joe

scanners.jpg

CS9000f does not appear to be intended for the US model so i have to identify an equivalent, not a problem. Please tell me a little bit about its performance. how did the scans turn up. Were you able to enlage the pictures on a large screen without loss of resolution? Any information you can offer will be highly appreciated. CJ

So, I've never tried this, but I figured I'd put it out there, the theory seems solid enough. Depending on what you need it for it might work? Dude in the video is certainly convinced.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not so easy to get a dedicated film scanner these days as many manufacturers, such as Canon/Minolta/Nikon, have removed themselves from that area.

Film Scanners

I recently picked up a Minolta Scan Multi for 35mm and 120. It is an old model.
I have not really worked with it yet so I cannot say much about it.

Digital Scanner Reviews

Things to consider:
- Digital Ice (for colour neg film)
- Focus control, or Auto focus
- D-Max

If you do plan on hunting down one of the older discontinued film scanners you have to be aware about the computer interface ... USB 1.0, USB2.0, and SCSI ... and driver support for modern OS's.

Personally I'd recommend a flatbed epson photo scanner.... the dedicated negative/slide scanners make you scan one photo at a time which is far too time consuming.

Most reactions

Back