Negative Scanners

C_Pad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a reasonably priced negative scanner, can anyone give me some help, I would really like one that will scan the entire 35mm negative, including the sprocket holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

For a scanner with a resonable price your going to be looking at a flat bed scanner (to get the sprocket holes). I have an Epson 4990 Pro scanner, and a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED. Using either the Epson (provided masks, or the Nikon. Both of them cover the sprocket holes. But with the Epson you can make your own holder. The Nikon is no longer available, and Epson has gone on too newer scanners than mine. The Epson 750 has been out a while and is a very good flat bed scanner.

Deppending on how much you are going to use it, and what your local labs charge for scanning. You might want to check what your break even point it. I would like to upgrade my Epson 4990 but I keep thinking Epson should have a new replacement for the 750 out within the next years I think. The 750 has been out a couple years now.

Many scanners only scan 35mm film, and the scan area doesn't usually cover the sprocket holes.

The epson v500 or V4490 both scan medium format film, which allow them to easily cover the area you need.

The Epson V700 and V750 are a lot more expensive, and only needed if you want to scan 4x5" film or larger.

The sprocket holes can be made in post processing. A dedicated 35mm film scanner is of course better than a flat bed and I guess you can get one on the cheap, Nikon or Minolta.
I have both flat bed Epson 4870 and film Minolta 5400. I use the flat bed for 4'x5' and 120mm but for my daily photocopies as well. The price of such scanner wont dammage your bank account and is so good I didn't feel the need to upgrade.
So you can get both for little money, and with the flat bed you make a matrix of the sprocket holes.

Alright, thanks everyone for the feed back! I'm going to do a little more research before my decision but you guys were a great help! Thanks again!

The sprocket holes can be made in post processing. A dedicated 35mm film scanner is of course better than a flat bed and I guess you can get one on the cheap, Nikon or Minolta.
I have both flat bed Epson 4870 and film Minolta 5400. I use the flat bed for 4'x5' and 120mm but for my daily photocopies as well. The price of such scanner wont dammage your bank account and is so good I didn't feel the need to upgrade.
So you can get both for little money, and with the flat bed you make a matrix of the sprocket holes.

I prefer the flatbed for 35mm as well, as it's far faster to use--allowing you to scan many frames at once.

A dedicated 35mm scanner will not scan at a higher quality then a flatbed, it's just easier to use, as the scan height on a flatbed is tricker to get set correctly--once set it's just as high quality. Also a flatbed is easier to get dirty, but then it's also easier to clean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back