Neutral Density Help

JacobGriz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting a sigma 10-20 4-5.6 for my canon 500d, and want to get a neutral density filter for it. Basically, all the ones I see are either like .9 (3 stops i think?) or more than that but crazy expensive. I want pictures to show up similar to these (like clouds blurred and flat water, but still really amazing color). Beached | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I'm confused about his setup. He has a nd filter and some sort of other filter. Can someone help recommend something like this for me but cheap?
-thank you

Looks like he's used a 3 stop ND and a 2 stop G-ND. The "soft" means that the transition from neutral density to clear is a graduated in a gentle way rather than being a hard line. The use of the 3 stop ND allowed for a longer shutter speed and the graduated ND allowed him to reduce the dynamic range between the dark foreground and the brighter sky. The cheapest decent filter you will get in this line is a Cokin; they run about $25 - 50/filter, depending on size and complexity. If your 'cheap' is a little richer than that, you can go to a Lee or Singh-Ray for somewhere between $100 - 175/filter.

Thank you. By cokin filters, you mean the ones with the slide in filters right?

Cokin is just one brand of filters, and not a real high quality brand at that.

For square or rectangular filters also check out Lee, B+W, and
Singh-Ray

Yes, I ordered the p-series, will I see that in the picture at 10mm? By that I mean will the mount obstruct the view of the lens? Because it says recommended for focal lengths at 28mm on 35mm cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back