New, advice?

ajacobs05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided I wanted to get into photography about a month or two ago. Any comments or tips are appreciated. I've taken a ton of awful ones, here are some of the ones I've been pretty satisfied with so far.

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN1562.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN1719.jpg

DSCN1736_2_2.jpg

I actually think the color is better than it shows up on these, photobucket seems to fade all my pictures? They retained their color much better on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24531789@N02/sets/72157604081276460/

I think these are really nice. I would say to shoot outdoors an hour or two after sunrise and before sunset. The color of the sunlight at those times really makes a difference.

#2 is my favorite, the contrasting colors of the flower and leaves makes the flower standout really well.
#1 would be great with the sun or moon behind the tree or front lit from the sun, and maybe if you were a little closer to it so the tree filled the frame just a little more.

For just 2 months, you are doing pretty good.

It is so refreshing to hear from someone who isn't asking, "Which really expensive equipment should I buy?"

1. Shoot lots of pictures. I never go out without my camera and I take pictures of whatever strikes my fancy.

2. As you take pictures you'll learn that high noon is the pits and anything away from that is good. Shadows are your friend but, of course, sometimes friends let you down.

3. Look at good photos and consider why you like the ones you like. Then try and shoot some similar shots. Emulating someone else's style is fine when you're learning and eventually you will quite naturally develop your own style.

4. I listened to a college professor telling his students that "real" pictures were never of people. The truth is he was terrified of people. I suspect he didn't consider students as really being people. Ninety-five percent of the people in the world are nice.

4. Unless you're wealthy, go slow on buying things. Since 1962, I've bought a lot of really great things that never came out of the drawer. Some didn't because they simply didn't fit how I work.

5. Above all have fun. Learn to take both criticism and praise.

6. Consider joining a camera club. That's what I did when I started and I quickly learned who could and would help me learn photography.

You're definitely on the right track!

I'm not really into macro, but those ones do look good. One the first one, you could crop a bit of the dead space, or else you could have put the tree off centre to make for a more interesting composition. Google for "Rule of Thirds" and "photography composition", you'll find lots of tips. Just my opinion, though, having it centred looks cool also.

I added you as a contat on flickr! :D

That's a crazy spider! What kind of lens were you using?

Most of your flickr shots look like they follow the rule of thirds honestly. You seem to be really into it and reading and practicing a lot. Great job!

Daffodills where I lived lasted like 4 days.

HI there, nice pics.. the only thing I could say, being a noob myself is that you try to frame your subject to the right instead of the left.. It "feels" better.. this has to do with the way we perceive balance.. another thing.. don't be afraid to get even closer to your subject.

...you could have put the tree off centre to make for a more interesting composition. Google for "Rule of Thirds" and "photography composition", you'll find lots...
Once you learn the rule of thirds, be sure to learn to break it. :wink:

I think these are really nice. I would say to shoot outdoors an hour or two after sunrise and before sunset. The color of the sunlight at those times really makes a difference.

I'll try to get out those times of day and test out the lighting. Thanks for the tips.

It is so refreshing to hear from someone who isn't asking, "Which really expensive equipment should I buy?"
haha, yeah I've seen a lot of those threads while browsing around here last night. I think I'll be better holding off on the expensive equipment until I have a skill I can actually use it with. Thanks for the advice.

You're definitely on the right track!
I added you as a contat on flickr!

Thanks!

That's a crazy spider! What kind of lens were you using?
Most of your flickr shots look like they follow the rule of thirds honestly. You seem to be really into it and reading and practicing a lot. Great job!
Daffodills where I lived lasted like 4 days.
I'm just using a Nikon point and shoot camera for now. Thanks for the compliment. The daffodills here lasted a bit longer than that, but not long enough. I was going to go shoot some more later, but by the time I found some time they weren't near as pretty.

HI there, nice pics.. the only thing I could say, being a noob myself is that you try to frame your subject to the right instead of the left.. It "feels" better.. this has to do with the way we perceive balance

I'll give that try, thanks.

Hey, I just looked at your flickr pictures..
There is one that stands out to me like I can't explain..
I really like it.
It's the one you said was awful, but still liked..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2334084034_141bb99881_o.jpg

That picture turned out very blurry. I was walking to class when I took it, and I suspect if I had happened to have a tripod with me then shooting in the fog might have worked out a little better. I couldn't part with it though because I couldn't get over the feel of it. I sharpened it up A LOT, because that was just about the only way to tell what it actually was. The sharpening left it very grainy, which I disliked at first, but it's sorta grown on me since then.

I'm glad you like it. I can't put my finger on what it is about it that appeals to me either.

hey, great pics...i really like the one that got linked to above!...if you want to make it less grainy try Neat Image, its a good program that will make the photo less grainy

You DEFINETLY have an eye for photography. Cant wait to see more from you

One or two months experience, and you come up with pics like these. I'm envious!:grumpy:

I see what you mean by flickr holding the saturation.

That picture turned out very blurry. I was walking to class when I took it, and I suspect if I had happened to have a tripod with me then shooting in the fog might have worked out a little better.

I´m glad you didn't have it.. otherwise it would ended up being another "winter" pic.
The blur, even though it was not intentional, is what gives it character and uniqueness. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back